This is a collection of 10 free 1st grade writing prompts about those Saturday morning friends of ours known as cartoons. Kids tend to love them because they are bright, colorful and hilarious while adults love them because it gives them a break from the kids. Try out this collection of writing prompts so that your kids can cultivate their own imaginations while watching imaginative animation.
You may notice that the numbers on this page do not start at 1 and work their way up. This is because these 10 1st grade writing prompts are an excerpt from my book, 500 Writing Prompts for Kids: First Grade through Fifth Grade. If you like these free samples, the full version is available in both digital and paperback form.
1st Grade Writing Prompts #5: Cartoons
51. Who is your favorite cartoon character and why? Imagine that you and this character went on an amazing adventure together. Talk about the entire day in which you are together from beginning to end.
52. What would your day be like if it was animated? Would you bounce and fly to school? Would your teachers and classmates make funny faces all day long? Describe your world as if it was a cartoon in full detail.
53. Some cartoons have wacky sound effects that make everybody laugh. Imagine that everything you did was accompanied by a silly and strange sound. What are some of the sounds and what would you do about everyone around you laughing all the time?
54. You are an animated super hero ready to take on the world and stop bad guys. What would a day in your new super heroic life be like?
55. Describe what a cartoon version of you would look like. Talk about your hair and your face and your clothes. What would your animated room look like? Tell every detail possible.
56. You have been captured by an evil cartoon villain! Luckily, all of your favorite cartoons from different shows are coming together to rescue you. Who are the villains and who are the heroes in this story? How do they eventually rescue you from the clutches of evil?
57. If you worked for an animation company, what type of cartoon would you make? Try to come up with something original that has never been done before!
58. Slowly but surely, everything in the world has started to become animated and you have to stop it. What do you do to discover what is causing everyone to become hand-drawn and how do you keep it from taking over?
59. If you could make one cartoon character come to the real world who would it be and why? Since this is a new experience for the character, how would you describe the differences between the animated world and the real world to him or her?
60. You have been given a magical pencil. Everything you draw with this pencil comes to life! What do you draw? Tell the story of the things you draw and what you do with your newfound power.
Done with 1st Grade Writing Prompts? Go back to Creative Writing Prompts.