This collection of 10 free 1st grade writing prompts can help your students or children to express their feelings about the most wonderful times of the year in written form. This is a fantastic way to get your kids writing about some of the most enjoyable events they experience all year long.
You may notice that the numbers on this page do not start at 1 and work their way up. This is because these 10 1st grade writing prompts are an excerpt from my book, 500 Writing Prompts for Kids: First Grade through Fifth Grade. If you like these free samples, the full version is available in both digital and paperback form.
1st Grade Writing Prompts #2: Holidays
21. What is your favorite holiday and why? Tell a story about something you did during this holiday that was fun and exciting.
22. What is your least favorite holiday? What don’t you like about it? If you could change one thing about this holiday to make the holiday more fun what would it be and why?
23. One of the happiest and weirdest holidays of the year is Valentine’s Day. What does it mean to be someone’s Valentine? If you had the choice: who would be your Valentine and why?
24. At the end of the year, there are so many different holidays like Christmas, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa. Imagine that you and your friends got together and celebrated all three holidays at the same time! What would it be like? How would you try to learn about the holidays that you don’t usually celebrate?
25. You wake up one morning to find that all of the figures from the major holidays have come to hang out with you. This includes Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Leprechaun and anyone else you can think of. What do you do with these magical holiday people during your day together?
26. Halloween is the time of year for candy and costumes. What is the most amazing costume that you have ever worn? What do you want to be next year?
27. When everybody stays up till midnight to celebrate the New Year, sometimes they create New Year’s Resolutions. These are like goals for the next year. What would five of your resolutions be if the New Year started right now?
28. Hundreds of years ago, only a few holidays were official on the calendar. Make up a story of how one of the holiday traditions began and why it became so popular.
29. Create a new holiday with events from the beginning of the day to the end of the day. What do people do and how do they act differently than they normally do? Are there presents? Is there special food? Go into extreme detail.
30. What do you usually do on Mother’s and Father’s Day for your parents? Do you make them breakfast in bed or do extra chores? What do you think would make them the most happy on this special holiday?
Done with 1st Grade Writing Prompts? Go back to Creative Writing Prompts.