This collection of 10 free 1st grade writing prompts are about those times when you really get away from it all: vacation. Whether you're headed to meet Mickey Mouse or just Grandma Celine, your children and students love experiencing new locations somewhere away from home. New experiences are very helpful in allowing your children to come up with new ideas to write about.
You may notice that the numbers on this page do not start at 1 and work their way up. This is because these 10 1st grade writing prompts are an excerpt from my book, 500 Writing Prompts for Kids: First Grade through Fifth Grade. If you like these free samples, the full version is available in both digitaland paperback form.
1st Grade Writing Prompts #3: Vacation
31. If you had a choice to go anywhere in the world with your family for vacation, where would it be? Don’t limit yourself; write about any place in the world, even if it’s somewhere you’ve never been! Describe your first day in this new place.
32. How did you and your family get to your last vacation? Was it in a plane, a bus or a car? What about a boat? Write a story about your experience in that mode of transportation and if it was a good time or not.
33. How do you feel when school lets out for summer vacation and why?
34. What is the best vacation that you have ever gone on? What was so fun about it? Talk about at least three big events from that trip that make it stick out in your mind.
35. One of the best things about going on vacation is that you get to try new and exotic foods. Write about a meal you had on vacation in which you tested out a food you’d never had before.
36. While travelling on a big cruise ship, a giant rock causes the ship to crash on a deserted tropical island. Everybody is safe and sound but you have to survive on an island filled with coconuts and sandy beaches. How do you and your family live for a week on this unplanned vacation?
37. Where do you think movie stars and other famous people go on vacations? What do they do while they are there and what would you do if you got to tag along for a day or two?
38. Due to a change in the way summer vacation works, you and your family only have one day to do your entire vacation. What do you all do on that day to fit in all the fun things of vacation in only 24 hours of time?
39. All of your friends’ parents have gotten together and have decided to put you and all of your best friends into a beach house together for the entire summer. Describe at least three crazy adventures that you all have while living together.
40. Sometimes when a family can’t figure out the best place to go for vacation, they do what’s called a “staycation” by staying at home and having a great time. What would you do on your staycation at home and why?
Done with 1st Grade Writing Prompts? Go back to Creative Writing Prompts.