Without further adieu, I give you 10, count 'em, 10 free 2nd grade writing prompts about my favorite season: fall. I love autumn for multiple reasons, the least of which is my birthday, but I've always been a fan of Halloween, Thanksgiving and the beautiful colors of the falling leaves. I hope that your children and students will feel the same way when recounting their experiences with these writing prompts.
You may notice that the numbers on this page do not start at 1 and work their way up. This is because these 10 2nd grade writing prompts are an excerpt from my book, 500 Writing Prompts for Kids: First Grade through Fifth Grade. If you like these free samples, the full version is available in both digital and paperback form.
2nd Grade Writing Prompts #4: Fall
331. Why is fall called fall? Tell a story of hundreds of years ago when people decided to call the season fall and why they did it.
332. Imagine going on a drive down a street with lots of trees. You see the beautiful foliage of the leaves with colors like red, brown, green and yellow. Describe your feelings about the bright and pretty colors plastered throughout the forest during your drive.
333. Your parents have spent the last few hours raking all of the leaves into a giant pile. When they aren’t looking, you dive into the pile, scattering the leaves every which way. They look right at you when you exit the pile. What happens next?
334. Lots of cool events happen during the fall, like Halloween, the start of football season and Thanksgiving. What is your favorite fall event and why?
335. What is the weather during fall like in your town? What do you think it would be like in a place much farther south? What about in a place much farther north? What about on the other side of the world?
336. Imagine life as a little leaf on a tree. You grew up all spring and summer and now you’re getting ready to jump down to the ground in the fall. Tell your leafy story from beginning to end, including what happens after you fall.
337. In some ancient cultures, when there was no scientific explanation for something, they would come up with a myth or an origin story of how something came to be. Create a myth about how and why the leaves started changing colors and falling.
338. If you could get all of your friends together to do one huge fall activity what would it be and why? Tell the story of you and your friends doing this activity together from beginning to end.
339. What are some of the things you don’t like about the fall season? If you could change any three things about it what would they be? How would fall be different with these new things in place?
340. What are your favorite foods of the fall season? List at least five your favorite fall-related dishes (for example, pumpkin pie) and talk about the last time that you ate each one. Remember to give credit to the chef!
Done with 2nd Grade Writing Prompts? Go back to Creative Writing Prompts.