Parents and teachers alike, here is a list of 10 free 2nd grade writing prompts about the four seasons. Personally, I have a boatload of memories about each of the seasons from my childhood and cultivating those memories with these prompts can be a boon to a young writer. Try these out at the end of a school year to bring back some weather-related memories.
341. Which is your favorite of the four seasons and why? What do you do during the season that makes it so special to you?
342. Which is your least favorite of the four seasons and why? What are some things you could do during the season to make it more exciting and interesting?
343. Imagine that you are an animal living outside through all four seasons. Which animal are you? How do you survive through all of the different seasons out in the wild?
344. You have been given the job of making a brand new 12 month calendar with new seasons. What would you change? Would you change any names of the months or the seasons? How do you think people would react to your new way of doing things?
345. How would the different seasons affect people in the following professions: firefighter, ice cream man, gardener, airplane pilot, ship captain?
346. A rain storm can happen during any of the seasons, but it can be a lot different depending on how cold it is out. How is a rain storm in the summer different from a rain storm in the winter? Go into detail and pull from your own experiences.
347. In other parts of the world, the seasons can be a lot different. Write a story in which you explain to a foreign exchange student how the four seasons are in your town.
348. Why do you think that the earth needs four seasons? Why doesn’t it just stay summer all year round? What do you think would happen if it was just sunny and warm all the time?
349. One of the best parts of the warmer seasons is that there are some amazing fruits to pick straight off the tree. Have you ever been fruit picking? If so, write a story about your family’s trip to an orchard. If not, create a tale about picking some wild and exotic fruit to make into a fresh pie.
350. Of all the 12 months, which would you say is the one that you enjoy the most? Is it because of a particular season? A particular holiday? Give lots of reasons why and tell a little story about when it became your favorite month.
Bryan Cohen is the author of more than 30 books, many of which focus on creative writing and blasting through that pesky writer's block. His books have sold more than 20,000 copies. You can find him on Google+ and Facebook.