Here are 10 free 2nd grade writing prompts for your child to work on between cups of hot cocoa during the winter. With less time outside, there is no question that your children and students will be antsy. Take advantage of their time inside by having them write about their favorite and least favorite parts of the season.
You may notice that the numbers on this page do not start at 1 and work their way up. This is because these 10 2nd grade writing prompts are an excerpt from my book, 500 Writing Prompts for Kids: First Grade through Fifth Grade. If you like these free samples, the full version is available in both digital and paperback form.
2nd Grade Writing Prompts #2: Winter
311. Try to remember back to the first time you ever saw snow. What was it like seeing it for the first time and then touching it for the first time? Were you surprised at all? Did you like it at the time or were you not a fan?
312. Have you ever had to walk around in a huge winter snow storm? If so, what was it like and how difficult was it? If not, create a story about having to trudge through over a foot of snow in your backyard and around your house.
313. One of the best ways to warm up after a few hours in the snow is to put on some warm socks, drink a hot chocolate and sit by the fireplace. Whether or not you’ve had the pleasure of doing that, tell a story about warming up in this way and how good it feels.
314. How does the winter in your town compare with the winters in other towns? Is there more snow here than anywhere else? Is it relatively mild? How is it different?
315. Have you ever been involved in a snow ball fight? If so, talk about how it went and if there were any winners and losers. If not, create a story in which there is a huge snow ball fight between you and your friends.
316. The winter season brings a lot of fun holiday cheer both inside and outside of school. Do you enjoy all of the bright lights and presents of the winter? Why or why not?
317. What kind of outfit do you wear for a snowy and cold winter’s day? Do you have a big, puffy coat and boots? Go into detail about every part of the outfit from your wool hat down to your thick socks.
318. What are some of the animals that you might see during the winter that you wouldn’t see any other part of the year? If you’re not sure that you’ve seen any animals in the winter, make up a story in which you see your favorite north pole animals (like penguins and polar bears) walking through your backyard!
319. Imagine that you, Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and Jack Frost have to go on a mission to save somebody that is stuck in his house from a blizzard. How do you meet these wintry creatures and how do you go about your mission?
320. One of the toughest parts of winter is the ice. This is the ice that you can slip on and that your parents’ cars can slip on. Why is ice so dangerous during the winter and what do people normally do about it to be more safe?
Done with 2nd Grade Writing Prompts? Go back to Creative Writing Prompts.