3rd Grade Writing Prompts #1:
This small collection of 3rd grade writing prompts touches upon the world of video games. More often than not, video games are the sort of thing that keep kids from writing. By having your Nintendo and Xbox loving students actually write about the games they're playing, you are able to pull from a typically untapped resource.
You may notice that the numbers on this page do not start at 1 and work their way up. This is because these 10 3rd grade writing prompts are an excerpt from my book, 500 Writing Prompts for Kids: First Grade through Fifth Grade. If you like these free samples, the full version is available in both digital and paperback form.
3rd Grade Writing Prompts #1: Video Games
271. What kind of video game systems do you and your family have inside your house? Tell the story of how you got each of them. If you don’t have any video game systems, create a story of how your family might get one in the future.
272. What is your favorite video game that you’ve ever played and what system was it for? Write a story about a day in which you had a particularly great time playing it.
273. What do you think some of the benefits are of video games? What are some of the reasons you think kids maybe shouldn’t play video games? Do the pros outweigh the cons or do you think video games are a bad thing for kids?
274. Some people think that video games keep kids from going outside as much. Do you agree or disagree and why?
275. The recent video game systems like Xbox360 and Wii are a ton of fun and they have amazing graphics. What do you think the video game systems of the future will be like? What new features might they have and what kind of games will they provide?
276. The first video games were really simple and you could only do a couple of things like bounce a ball from one side of the screen to the other. If you went back in time to those days, how do you think you would be able to deal with such simple games?
277. Have you ever played a video game that your parents told you that you weren’t allowed to play? Something with excessive violence or language perhaps? What was the game like? Do you understand why your parents might not want you to play it?
278. If you could be a character inside any video game, which one would it be and why? Tell a story about a day in the life for your new video game character.
279. Imagine that you are a game developer for the company that makes some of the biggest games today. You need to come up with an amazing idea that everyone will like. What is the idea? Tell the story of its amazing success in the marketplace.
280. Most video games are catered toward boys, leading girls to often leave video games alone. If you could create a video game that was for girls only, what would it be? Do you think boys might want to try it too?
Done with 3rd Grade Writing Prompts? Go back to Creative Writing Prompts.
comments powered by
Written by Bryan Cohen
Bryan Cohen is the author of more than 30 books, many of which focus on creative writing and blasting through that pesky writer's block. His books have sold more than 20,000 copies. You can find him on Google+ and Facebook.
Write a Story Based on These Prompts or This Article!
Use the above prompts or article as inspiration to write a story or other short piece.