Here is a collection of creative writing essay ideas that you can use with your students, your kids or yourself! An essay is typically a five-paragraph or more argument in which you are trying to prove something. When you attach creative writing to the title, you often end up with an essay proving something about yourself or your own life. It's an essay that draws on your imagination and goes beyond restating old facts in interesting ways. Your life and the things that you think up are the facts in this writing situation. Try these ideas on for size and if you'd like about a thousand more, check out my book, 1,000 Creative Writing Prompts: Ideas for Blogs, Scripts, Stories and More.
Creative Writing Essay Ideas
1. Do you think that you have changed for the better in the past five years? Write an essay arguing whether or not you think that you have grown during that time by comparing and contrasting yourself with the person you were in the past.
2. Imagine that you had to prove to your biggest crush that you were more worthy than another suitor. Write an essay in which you show how you are far superior to your competitor in multiple ways.
3. By this time in your life, you may have thought of at least one area in which you could start a career. Write an essay about the things you would have to learn and the internal qualities you would have to develop to be at the top of the class when it came to this career.
4. You are one of the finalists in a mission to go to a new planet full of intelligent alien life. Create an argument as to why you think you would be a top candidate to go on this expedition. Make sure to include both your strengths and your weaknesses.
5. Your parents or guardians have come upon over a million dollars and now they need to decide how to spend it. Write an essay explaining how they should use some of the money in a way that would benefit you, your school and the community at large.
6. An evil sorcerer has taken you and the rest of the school hostage. He has already turned some of your classmates into animals and other strange creatures. He gives you the opportunity to join him in his evil deeds or to be turned into an animal yourself. Write an essay in which you mentally debate which choice to take.
7. Death is a scary subject but we all have to deal with it during our lifetimes. Write an essay in which you talk about how death has affected your life and what kind of role it will play for you and your family in the future.
8. Write an essay about how popularity plays a role in your life. How do you think life would be different if you were at a drastically different point on the popularity spectrum?
9. Your teacher has given you the opportunity to instruct a lesson of your choosing in front of the class. Write an essay detailing your proposed lesson. Keep in mind, the proposal has to be legitimate and you must actually believe that what you're writing can convince your instructor.
10. How would you like the world to change during your lifetime and how would you like to contribute to that change? Write an essay about how you think you can positively affect the way the world works during your lifetime.
Thanks for taking a look at these creative writing essay ideas. There are tons of creative writing essay prompts and other ideas that can be used throughout this website. Take a look around and use whatever you'd like. Happy writing!
Bryan Cohen is the author of more than 30 books, many of which focus on creative writing and blasting through that pesky writer's block. His books have sold more than 20,000 copies. You can find him on Google+ and Facebook.