With this, my first creative writing topic list, I thought I'd delve into my favorite subject: the wild and eventful moments of life. Unlike some of my many creative writing prompts, I will try to make these topics more broad so that you can take them in a bunch of different directions.
Creative Writing Topic List #1: Life
1. The 10 year high school reunion can bring up tons of memories good and bad. Write about how attending such a reunion would make you feel. Looking back on the experience, how would you rate those four turbulent high school years and why?
2. Thinking back on the first time you fell in love can be exciting and painful, depending on how it turned out. Imagine that you had a chance to live out that time of your life with different choices. What would you decide to differently and why?
3. Depending on your current age, you may not have yet transitioned into the real world. Whether you are looking to achieve your dream or simply enter the work force at that time, this transition is a major crossroads in your life. How has or will such a change affect who you are and the path of your life?
4. We all experience death for the first time at different ages. How did you first encounter death and how did it change your view of the world?
5. As much as you might deny it, your parents or guardians helped you to become who you are today. How have they shaped you, what have you inherited from them and what lessons have they tried to teach you?
6. The music we hear during major events of our lives such as our senior prom, wedding, etc., can bring back the associated memories for decades to come. What are some songs that remind you of points in your life and how do they make you feel?
7. In every generation there is a news event so momentous that you can remember almost everything about that day. What was that event for you? Describe the day in great detail.
8. We all have regrets of things we wish we had done in our lives. Imagine you had acted differently during just three of those regretful instances. How would your life be altered today?
9. Past generations worked hard to give us the lives we have today. Write a story about how a group from the past viewing the present would feel about the way we spend our days.
10. Imagine that there is a heaven and a hell and you must convince the angelic gatekeepers that you belong in heaven. What would your moral argument be and would you succeed?
Bryan Cohen is the author of more than 30 books, many of which focus on creative writing and blasting through that pesky writer's block. His books have sold more than 20,000 copies. You can find him on Google+ and Facebook.