Here is a collection of 10 free fifth grade writing prompts on no particular subject at all. I've recently added many pages of prompts to the website and I hope that these prompts can help to inspire students to write more often in much more than 140 characters.
You may notice that the numbers on this page do not start at 1 and work their way up. This is because these 10 fifth grade writing prompts are an excerpt from my book, 500 Writing Prompts for Kids: First Grade through Fifth Grade. If you like these free samples, the full version is available in both digital and paperback form.
Fifth Grade Writing Prompts #9: Grab Bag #2
461. What are some of the weirdest jobs you’ve ever heard of? List at least five and describe what your life would be like if you worked each job yourself? How proud do you think your parents of you for each job?
462. Gratitude is a feeling you have when you are happy to have something or someone in your life. What are five things that you are grateful for and why? Why do you think some people have a hard time experiencing gratitude?
463. Imagine that you and your family have something amazing to celebrate and that you have decided to go out to the fanciest restaurant in town. What is the name of it (you can make one up if you can’t think of one) and what are some of the things on the menu? Is it the best food you’ve ever tasted or is it just strange?
464. Some adults are obsessed with caffeine from coffee, soda, Red Bull, 5-Hour Energy and other products. What do you think of coffee and these other products? Do you think you’ll need to drink them to stay awake when you get older?
465. Another thing that you might have to think about when you get older is cutting costs and saving money. Why is money so important and what are some of the ways you might save your money when you have a family of your own?
466. A bucket list is a list of things that you want to do during your lifetime. List 10 things you want to do during your life that you haven’t yet and also write about why you want to do those particular things.
467. In almost every house, there are a ton of things to do to keep things clean and tidy. Your parents may give you chores so they can divide up the responsibilities. What are some of the chores that you have to do? If your parents gave you all the chores in the house, how long do you think they would take you?
468. A piece of advice is something that a wise person tells you to help you in your life. An older brother might give you advice to get through your current grade or a teacher might give you advice in getting your homework in on time. What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given? Do you think you’ll remember it for the rest of your life?
469. You and your family have survived a plane crash into a mysterious forest. You have no way of communicating with the outside world and your plane is going to sink into a lake within the next hour or so. You can each only take five items with you. What are the five items each that you should take in order to increase your chances of survival?
470. Do you believe in ghosts? Have you ever seen something that can’t be explained by science? If so, talk about your experience and if not, create a spooky little ghost story that could have happened to you.
Done with Fifth Grade Writing Prompts? Go back to Creative Writing Prompts.