In collecting many different fourth grade writing prompts with multiple subjects, I came up with a few random ones that didn't quite fit the bill. Your children and students who don't gravitate toward a particular subject area may love the randomness of these 10 free prompts.
491. What are some of the benefits that a kid has over a grownup? Vice versa, what are some of the advantages being a grownup has over being a kid? Based on these benefits, do you think it’s better being a kid or an adult?
492. In the past, when something important happened, nobody would know about it until they read it in the newspaper. Later, the television news came along, usually a couple of times a day. Now there are news channels 24 hours a day and there are websites that update constantly. How do you think the world has changed now that news gets out so much more quickly?
493. One of the scariest things in this world is when people start being prejudiced about the color of their skin. Important activists like Martin Luther King, Jr., Rosa Parks and Gandhi showed that people should be treated equally. What would you do if you saw someone being prejudiced and talking badly about a particular race or person because of their skin color?
494. While you are typically able to go to school and play at recess, there are some kids who are sick all of the time and as a result they have to stay at home or a hospital. What would it be like if you were constantly fighting a disease instead of shooting hoops? How would you keep your spirits up and who do you think your biggest supporters would be?
495. While we constantly have things like refrigerated food, electrical power and clean running water, this is not the case throughout the entire world. Some people have it pretty rough. What do you think it would be like to live in such places? What would you do to stay happy and healthy?
496. At some points during American history, there was a thing called a draft. The draft meant that anyone over the age of 18 had a chance to be picked for military service, even if they didn’t want to go. There are multiple countries that still have a draft or a requirement to serve in the military like Israel. What do you think it would be like if you were forced to go into the Army?
497. Your parents do not always have it easy, trying to make sure you and your family have good food on the table and that you are able to do things in the future like go to college and be happy. What are 10 things that you could do for your parents to make their lives better and how do you think those things would help?
498. One of the scariest things that can happen when you’re a kid is when you have a crush on someone and the secret gets out before you’re ready to tell that person. Imagine that your biggest crush has come up to you telling that he or she has heard the rumor. How do you respond?
499. The winter holidays are a wonderful time of year for most people as they get to spend time with family and friends and receive presents. Keep in mind though; there are people who have to spend their holiday alone, like those at homes for the elderly with no family. Write a little card to a stranger who lives in one of these places for the holidays to keep up their holiday cheer.
500. Some of the most interesting people in the world, decide from an early age to dedicate their lives to a major cause like ending world hunger or saving the rainforest. If you had to choose a cause for yourself, what do you think it would be? What are at least three things you can do right now that would go toward your major goal?
Bryan Cohen is the author of more than 30 books, many of which focus on creative writing and blasting through that pesky writer's block. His books have sold more than 20,000 copies. You can find him on Google+ and Facebook.