Turn and face the strange, ch-ch-changes! This collection of 10 free fourth grade writing prompts deals with the changes that come from moving to a different city or a different part of the world. Anything that expands the minds and imagination of elementary school students is worth it, including thinking about other parts of the world.
You may notice that the numbers on this page do not start at 1 and work their way up. This is because these 10 fourth grade writing prompts are an excerpt from my book, 500 Writing Prompts for Kids: First Grade through Fifth Grade. If you like these free samples, the full version is available in both digital and paperback form.
Fourth Grade Writing Prompts #6: Changing Places
431. How do you think your life would be different if you lived right on the beach in warm temperatures all year round? Would you take up different activities? Would you get more of a tan?
432. You and your family have won a grand prize trip halfway across the world … to the middle of Russia during the winter! What is it like living in sub-freezing temperatures and experiencing a new culture?
433. Imagine that you have been selected as the diplomat for Australia and New Zealand. You leave tomorrow! What are some of the things you have to learn out there? Do you have a tough time understanding the slang and the dialect of the locals?
434. The local transportation company has drilled a hole clean through the Earth to the other side. If you went straight through the earth, where would you end up (in the United States you’d end up near China)? Imagine what it’d be like to take a super speed train to the other side of the world and what it’d be like when you got there.
435. You have been sent to a boarding school several states away. Create the boarding school using details and talk about what your new life would be like there. How would you cope, going to a new school and meeting all new friends?
436. Imagine that you were all grown up and that you had a job that took you all around the world five days a week. Where are some of the places you would go for business? What would it be like flying all the time and not getting to stay at home as much?
437. If you had a choice to go anywhere else in the world, based completely on food, where would you go? Would you have some genuine pizza in Italy? Would you have French toast in France? Pick a place and describe your eating experience there.
438. What would life be like if instead of living in regular house; you lived in a castle that had been built over a thousand years ago? How would you live your life differently? How do you think people lived in those types of places when they were first built?
439. There are still some parts of the world that don’t have a lot of technology like cell phones and Wi-Fi. Imagine that you had to live in one of these places for a couple of weeks. How would you survive without your constant connection to phones and the Web? What do you think the people in this place do for fun?
440. How different do you think you’d be now if you were born and raised in another country with a completely different language? Do you think you’d look different? Do you think you’d have a different personality?
Done with Fourth Grade Writing Prompts? Go back to Creative Writing Prompts.