Cartoon characters, pets, creatures from the wild, and even ourselves make animals an important part of our existence. From an early age we are treated to the view of certain animals demonstrating good and certain demonstrating evil (through Disney movies and other cartoons). We have the pets that we love and those that we fear. We have seen the humans around us act like animals and we may have even felt such instincts oursleves. These free creative writing prompts deal with our connection with animals and our perception and interaction with them. So, sit for a spell, use your brain, and put those animal instincts off to the side while you write these things :).
Free Creative Writing Prompts: Animals
1. Talk about a time in which it really felt like you were using your animal instincts. This could be a time where you really felt your body and emotions took over. It could be positive or negative. Be very specific about how it felt and how you reacted afterward.
2. I know, I know, this is a little kindergarten, but if you could be any animal, what would you be and why? Detail a typical day in the life of this new animal version of you.
3. In George Orwell's book "Animal Farm," a hierarchy of animals was formed in a sort of allegory of government. If you were creating a more positive and happy hierarchy, what would it be?
4. What is your opinion on the mistreatment of animals in some slaughterhouses and chicken farms? Do you feel it is your personal responsibility to help these animals or do you feel as though the efficiency of the process is in the name of human progress? Be very specific and detailed.
5. If any mythical creature could be actually alive (unicorn, sasquatch, ewok) which one would it be and why? Then, create a story of your discovery of this animal and how to peacefully bring it to the world's attention.
6. Who was/is your favorite childhood pet and why? Talk about some of your experiences with this pet and why you'll always keep him or her in your memory.
7. Who was/is your least favorite childhood pet and why? What are some of the things that turned you off of this pet? Do you blame the pet? The breeders? The owners?
8. You have become a bird! Pretty sweet, huh? How does the world look to you now that you can fly through the air at great speed? What are the things you have to worry about now that you no longer have bills to pay ;)?
9. If you could have any animal as a pet (that you have not previously had in your life) what would it be and why? Talk about some of your adventures with this pet and see how he or she adjusts to your current lifestyle.
10. You have become a zookeeper! You take care of pretty much everything in the zoo from the penguins to the elephants. What is it like being on the other side of the cage (assuming that you aren't already a zookeeper)? Talk about one of your typical days.
And there you have it, you animal you. I hope that you've enjoyed these animalistic free creative writing prompts. Take some time to think about the ways in which you are an animal (driven by emotion and instinct) and the ways in which you are a conscious being (using reason and thinking about the world in context). Perhaps you can use these writing exercises to go a little bit closer to the conscious being side. Or maybe you'll just use 'em to write a kids book. Either way is fine by me. Happy writing!
Bonus Prompt - In a bit straight out of "The Island of Dr. Moreau" you are creating new animals by adding different parts from different animals together. What kind of crazy combinations have you created? How are you dealing with the consequences of bringing something semi-unnatural into the world?