Free Creative Writing Prompts #69:
These free creative writing prompts have been written for the eyes and over-sized pencils of first graders. With reading and writing and anything having to do with learning, starting early is best. It doesn't matter if a response to any of these prompts is simply one word or just a few words, getting students to try to write as soon as possible is extremely important. This prompts can also probably be used with ease with older students as well. They are simple and can lead to hilarious or extremely truthful responses. Enjoy!
Free Creative Writing Prompts: First Grade
1. You have just walked into a spooky house! What is in the spooky house? Are there any people in the house? What do they say to you?
2. What is something you love to do more than anything else in the world? Why do you like it so much?
3. What is your favorite television show? Talk about a funny scene in the show and what the characters say to each other.
4. You have found a magic wand! You can do anything with it. What do you do? Do you share the wand with anybody else?
5. Your mom and dad buy you a new big dog as a Christmas present! Talk about the dog. What does the dog do? What does he look like?
6. What do you want to be when you grow up and why? Who is the most famous person who has that job already? If you don't know, make him up!
7. Write about your teacher! What is your teacher's name, what does he or she look like, and what do you like about him or her?
8. What is your favorite food? Who makes it better your mom, dad, or a restaurant? Talk about the food and what makes it so good.
9. What do your mom and dad do for work? What do they do for fun?
10. What is your house like? What do you like the most about it? What is your favorite room in the house?
Writing from these free creative writing prompts may be an extreme challenge for some first graders. I, for one, think that a tough challenge is just what the doctor asked for. One of the first books that was ever read to me was The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. Obviously, when my mom began reading that to me in the crib, I must have had a difficult time understanding a lick of it. But it was a challenging book and because of her reading I was able to start reading myself at a very early age. I think that challenges in writing should be exactly the same. Start early and have them write often. Happy learning and writing!
Bonus Prompt - You have had a magic spell cast on you and you are now 30 years old! What do you do now that you don't go to school anymore? Do you get a job? Do you get married?
Related Articles to Free Creative Writing Prompts for First Grade
Free Creative Writing Prompts from the Heart, Part 1
Free Creative Writing Prompts #2: Love
Creative Writing Exercises #2: Relaxation
Done with this page? Go back to Creative Writing Prompts.
comments powered by
Written by Bryan Cohen
Bryan Cohen is the author of more than 30 books, many of which focus on creative writing and blasting through that pesky writer's block. His books have sold more than 20,000 copies. You can find him on Google+ and Facebook.
Write a Story Based on These Prompts or This Article!
Use the above prompts or article as inspiration to write a story or other short piece.
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...