Free Creative Writing Prompts #10: Manhood
What does it mean to be a man? Do you have to walk like a man? Talk like a man? Why are men always fooled when women dress up as men in movies and plays? Does that mean we're easy to imitate? Here are some free creative writing prompts about manhood and what it means to be a man, for you. Ladies, does that mean that you can't use these? Heck no! This may be a good way for you to get inside the head of some of your male characters (or the male characters in your actual life ;)). When it comes down to it, all men are different and these prompts may not fit for you. If not, create your own and feel free to add them in the submission box below the prompts. Enjoy!
Free Creative Writing Prompts: Manhood
1. You're going to poker night! Whether you want to or not. You're going to be hanging out with some real "guys guys" for the next 5 hours with lots of beer, smoking, and dirty language. How'd you get roped into this and how does the experience sit with you?
2. You are sitting down on a bench at the mall while your significant other goes off to his/her 4th shop of the day. You are trying to organize the several bags he/she's left you with when an older man sits down next to you with bags of his own. You strike up a conversation and talk about what it's like being a married man. Write the entire conversation here.
3. Your first sexual experience. Be honest! If you haven't had one, make it up or create what your ideal first sexual encounter would be like.
4. You are in the midst of hell week at a fraternity. You have just been blindfolded and thrown into a van with several other pledges. What do you guys talk about during the ride to this unknown location? Feel free to continue the story throughout the night that follows.
5. You are very intoxicated at a bar and you completely black out. You wake up the next day with an unknown partner in your bed. How do you deal with the situation and what do you tell your friends who were at the bar with you?
6. Explain what exercise and physical fitness means to you as a man. Are you the type to build up your muscles with protein powder with creatine? The kind who runs 50 miles a week? The kind who doesn't do anything? Why? And what is your ideal physical condition?
7. It happens to everybody, or so they say. You have begun to have trouble getting an erection. How do you cope with this? How does this affect your life and your opinion of yourself?
8. Bonding time with Dad! You and your father go out fishing, camping, or something else outdoorsy and he gives you some fatherly advice about life. What do you talk about and has this wisdom affected you? Could be a true story or completely made up.
9 . You have just had your first child! How does this change your normal life and how do you and your significant other split the time taking care of him?
10. You have just walked into the pornography section of your local video store. While trying to keep a low profile, you walk right into your boss! Describe the hilariously awkward conversation that ensues.
Contrary to popular belief, not all men have a one track mind. Men can cry and love their male buds. There are all sorts of degrees of male sensitivity, and hopefully some of these free creative writing prompts can explore that to a certain extent. People often say "Be a man!" What does that really mean? Be yourself! And then write about it. Feel free to use the space below to wax on all things manly :).
Bonus - You are playing your favorite video game with your three best friends. One of them says, "I love you guys." How do you react? Describe the conversation that follows.
Free Creative Writing Prompts from the Heart, Part 1
Free Creative Writing Prompts #2: Love
Creative Writing Exercises #2: Relaxation
Done with this page? Go back to Creative Writing Prompts.
comments powered by
Written by Bryan Cohen
Bryan Cohen is the author of more than 30 books, many of which focus on creative writing and blasting through that pesky writer's block. His books have sold more than 20,000 copies. You can find him on Google+ and Facebook.
Write a Story Based on These Prompts or This Article!
Use the above prompts or article as inspiration to write a story or other short piece.