Free Creative Writing Prompts #36: Music
The song that accompanied your first kiss. The big crescendo at the end of your favorite movie. Music has an uncanny ability to affect nearly everybody. And the way that this music hits everybody can be in a completely subjective and different way. These free creative writing prompts are about your experiences with music and your dreams and fantasies about how it could affect your life. I for one believe that music and writing are difficult to separate and that there are an unlimited amount of music resources that can help with your writing. Enjoy!
Free Creative Writing Prompts: Music
1. What is the most beautiful piece of music you've ever listened to? Talk about how each part of the song made you feel and why it has stuck with you. Also, relate a story in which you share it with someone else and try to prove to them how great it is.
2. Write a story about a character (or draw from personal experience) in which the character creates some amazing. This can be with any instrument (including a vocal one). What kind of song is it and how does the character feel about making it?
3. Describe your best concert experience of all time. What was the band, who did you go with, and why has it stuck with you as being so fantastic? Go into extreme detail and feel free to make use of band lyrics.
4. Most people have a genre of music that just does not appeal to them. What is yours and why? Create a dialogue between two characters: one who loves that genre and one (like you) who hates it.
5. You have the esteemed pleasure of watching your son, daughter, niece, or nephew at his or her very first band concert. Talk about how it went, how cute it was seeing little kids do music, and how off-key they were :).
6. You are the lead singer in a brand-new chart topping band! How does it feel to be so famous for creating art? What is it like having so many fans and having to keep the band happy when egos begin to clash?
7. If you could be proficient in any one instrument what would it be and why? What would you do if you had immense talent in creating music with this instrument?
8. Have you ever had a piece of music change your life? What specifically changed you and why? If you haven't, just create a character or a piece of music that would cause such a thing to occur.
9. It's hard not to associate certain pieces of music with certain people and times in your life. Write a "High Fidelity"-esque autobiographical piece about five songs that will forever be linked with particular people, for better or for worse.
10. As of the writing of this article, the television show "American Idol" has made thousands of people try out for a spot on the show. Create a story in which you go to audition (after practicing heavily I'm sure) and detail your experience at the tryout.
Written by Bryan Cohen
Bryan Cohen is the author of more than 30 books, many of which focus on creative writing and blasting through that pesky writer's block. His books have sold more than 20,000 copies. You can find him on Google+ and Facebook.
In addition to these ten prompts, you can listen to any song ever created and pull ideas from that. With websites like Pandora and LastFM, you can even discover new music based on your preferences for free. This is the perfect time to make music a part of your writing. I hope you enjoyed these free creative writing prompts and that your next piece of writing is as beautiful as a Mozart concerto!
Bonus Prompt - You have assembled an all-star team of producers and recording artists to record the best music album ever. Who do you bring together and how does it go?
Write from one of these inspiring prompts!
Feel free to test your writing skills below!
What Other Visitors Have Written
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Done with Prompts about Music?
Go back to "Creative Writing Prompts"