Free Creative Writing Prompts #38: Summer
Sitting out by the pool and enjoying the summer season might be one of the most relaxing things you can do in this world. These free creative writing prompts about summer will help you to play with your memories and your fantasies of the warmest season so that you can get some damn fine writing ideas out of them. Whether it's the beach, your summer job, or the ice cream man, you can cultivate these summer memories to create something new with your writing. Warm it up, Bryan, I'm about to! Sorry, obligatory bad 1990's reference. Enjoy the prompts! :)
Free Creative Writing Prompts: Summer
1. It's hot. Sticky hot. You are sitting in your house or apartment with broken air conditioning and an outside temperature of 100 degrees F. Describe your day.
2. Ring a ling! It's the glorious Pavlov dog effect of the ice cream man. Write about your ice cream man experiences.
3. The old summer job. Whether it be the snack counter at the local pool or a camp counselor at the day camp, we've all had them. Talk about yours in great detail.
4. Summer fling! Ever had one? If so, write about it, if not, make up your ideal summer relationship.
5. There are amazing family summer vacations and there are family summer vacation disasters. Pick one and have a ball with it.
6. Going to the beach or the pool to watch the pretty people walk by in their swimsuits. Detail an afternoon of lounging and people watching.
7. It's that week where all of your friends have gone out of town except for you. What do you do with your extreme free time?
8. Whether it's beach volleyball, soccer, or Frisbee, the summer can be filled with sports. What are some of your summer sport experiences?
9. The end of summer is on and the shopping for school supplies begins! How do you get the last bit of juice out of the season?
10. One of those late-night summer barbecues with a couple of cold beers and good friends. What do you talk about? Describe the evening.
As we're inching toward the winter (as this article is being written), it's important to use those memories of warmer days to both keep you feeling good and to get some writing in. Also, while running around and enjoying yourself is important during the summer, remember to at least occasionally put pen to paper a few times a week to keep sharp. Happy writing!
Bonus Prompt - What is your favorite summer dessert and why? Portray a very descriptive scene in which you devour your dessert.
Write from one of these inspiring prompts!
Feel free to test your writing skills below!
Done with Prompts about Summer?
Go back to "Creative Writing Prompts"