Free Creative Writing Prompts #24: Technology
Ah, the wonders of technology. If it wasn't for new-fangled technology, you wouldn't be able to read this page and you wouldn't be able to text all of your friends about it afterward :). Technology has the ability to improve our lives but also to alienate us from ourselves and other people. These free creative writing prompts deal with both ends of the spectrum, both the benefits and the detriments of these new, "more efficient" ways of doing things. I am definitely pro-technology, but also pro-consciousness, which I believe requires the ability to leave technology behind at times to use your own mind. What are your thoughts? Feel free to respond to these prompts in the technology heavy submission box below :).
Free Creative Writing Prompts: Technology
1. Talk about one technology that you feel as though you could never live without. Is it television? Text messaging? The game Pong? Detail your obsession with this technology and write about a week in which it is taken away from you.
2. Imagine that television, movies, etc. were never invented. How would your family have spent the evening time when you were growing up. Do you feel as though this would have changed your family dynamic at all?
3. What if you created the next new important technology? What would it be and how would it change the world? Be creative here, don't just make up something that would be a two-day fad and then pass. I'm talking about the next iPod here people :).
4. PC or Mac and why? This is a simple prompt, but so many people are extremely passionate about this choice, I figured it might even yield more writing than some of the others. Have fun with this one. For an extra bonus, have it as a conversation between the PC guy and the Mac guy from the television commercials.
5. How would your life have been different if you'd grown up 20 years earlier? 10 years earlier? 10 years later? 20 years later? How would technology have affected your life differently? Would you be a different person today (other than age-wise)?
6. This is your rant space. Take the time to rant about a new or old technology that has inconvenienced you in some way or that you feel has a negative impact on society. Go to town!
7. Your sci-fi prompt of the hour! A technologically advanced alien race has come to Earth wanted to trade information. What new technological advances do we pick up from them and do we use them for good and evil? How does the diplomacy go with these aliens?
8. How do you feel as though technology has changed your relationships with other people? Do you consider your interpersonal connection better or worse with the innovations of texting, Twitter, Facebook, and the like? Be specific and cite several examples.
9. Talk about a time in your life where technology most helped you. It can be medically-related, socially-related, really any time that technology affected you in a positive way.
10. Talk about a time in your life where technology most hurt you. This story can involve any time that technology in any form either got in your way of something, slowed you down, or literally hurt you. Be very specific.
Bonus Prompt - You have been transported back to the middle ages with a couple of types of technology (a la "Army of Darkness" with Bruce Campbell). How do you survive and how do you get back to the present day?
The important thing to keep in mind about technology is that you don't have to use it if it doesn't help you. The now cliche image of two people texting each other while sitting next to each other is a good metaphor for that. If you have the ability to connect with people or to use your brain to solve a problem, go for it. These free creative writing prompts about technology may help you with that. Now, go and spread this about on Facebook, MySpace and Twitter for me, will ya :) ? Happy writing!
Free Creative Writing Prompts from the Heart, Part 1
Free Creative Writing Prompts #2: Love
Creative Writing Exercises #2: Relaxation
Done with this page? Go back to Creative Writing Prompts.
comments powered by
Written by Bryan Cohen
Bryan Cohen is the author of more than 30 books, many of which focus on creative writing and blasting through that pesky writer's block. His books have sold more than 20,000 copies. You can find him on Google+ and Facebook.
Write a Story Based on These Prompts or This Article!
Use the above prompts or article as inspiration to write a story or other short piece.
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...