Free Creative Writing Prompts #71:
Third grade is an important year. These free creative writing prompts make an effort to reflect some of the changes that are occurring at this time. You begin to develop stronger likes, dislikes, and opinions in general. Your discussions with friends and family become more advanced. This is also a big point at which you decide if you like or dislike writing. As you are beginning to take in new experiences with the newfound ability to express them more fully, writing is a huge component to being able to express yourself fully. Try these with your child or students and see what they come up with. Enjoy!
Free Creative Writing Prompts: Third Grade
1. What is your favorite game that you like to play? Is it something with other people or just a game that you play alone? Who would be the best people to play it with and where would you play it?
2. Talk about a time in which you felt very proud of yourself. What did you do and why did you do it? Did you receive any awards for doing this task?
3. Ten years from now what do you think the world will be like? How will things have changed and how would they change for you (you will be in your first year of college by then!)?
4. What is the best birthday party you've ever been to and why? What was the theme of the party and what did you bring as a gift (and if it was your own party, what did you get as a gift)?
5. What is your favorite movie of all time? Why is it so good? Do you remember who you were with the first time that you saw it?
6. What would you do if you were the President of the United States? How would you help people and how would you change things about the world?
7. Talk about a time that you were on a plane. What did you see when you looked out of the window? Where were you going? Do you remember if there was anything special happening on the plane itself?
8. What is the best meal that you've ever had? Who cooked it and why do you remember it so well? Do you think that you'd be able to cook the same thing if you had the chance?
9. What would you do with a million dollars? What would you buy? Would you give any of it away to charity? Which charity would you give some to?
10. What is the most memorable dream or nightmare that you've ever had? Describe the dream from the beginning to the end and try not to leave out any details.
Written by Bryan Cohen
Bryan Cohen is the author of more than 30 books, many of which focus on creative writing and blasting through that pesky writer's block. His books have sold more than 20,000 copies. You can find him on Google+ and Facebook.
Something to keep in mind with these free creative writing prompts. Save every piece of your child's writing. I am so lucky that I am still able to glance at journals from third grade and see what I was thinking, who I liked, who my friends were, etc. Even just showing it to a child in fourth or fifth grade can show him that he is growing and improving. Hopefully this can lead to a boost in self-confidence and a desire to write even more. Happy writing!
Bonus Prompt - If you had your choice of living anywhere in the world where would it be? Why would you live there and what do you think would change about your life?
Write from one of these inspiring prompts!
Feel free to test your writing skills below!
What Other Visitors Have Written
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
You Not rated yet
I want You to write a story about You! Include details like:
How Tall You are
How much You Weigh (Optional)
I have a dream Not rated yet
My dream is for my school to be a healthy community. What I mean by that is that I don't want my school to be a fighting community. My school …
MEAN GIRLS!... Not rated yet
Once upon a time in school 12 mean girls were walking to their lockers then they saw 15 good friends.
Then the mean girls said, "Hey girls …
The First Time I Stepped in a Kitchen Not rated yet
One afternoon my mother had to go pick my big sister Caitlin up from soccer practice. Then I went to go get me a snack in the kitchen and there …
Click here to write your own.
Done with Prompts for Third Grade?
Go back to "Creative Writing Prompts"