Free Creative Writing Prompts #14: Water
These free creative writing prompts about water go into many different possible connections between your life and the most viscous of the four elements. From skinnydipping to rainstorms to dehydration, water affects our lives in many ways and despite the fact that it makes up a large portion of our body, few people think of it as a writing inspiration. Those who have been affected in natural disasters like hurricane Katrina know of the extreme life altering effects that water can have on a person and a family. Learning to swim and our first encounters with the ocean can form extremely happy memories as well. Feel free to use the form at the bottom to turn one of these prompts into writing reality.
Free Creative Writing Prompts: Water
1. Write about your first skinydipping experience? If you don't have one, make one up or create a situation that you could have been in when growing up. How do the other people react to being naked together? What are the feelings that you're experiencing?
2. Your boat has capsized about 20 miles off the coast of the ocean. Luckily, you have enough leg strength to keep yourself treading for a very long time. Describe the boat accident and your journey to safety over the next couple of days.
3. Try to remember back to you earliest swimming memory? Were you wearing floaties? Did you have a fun time with friends? Be specific and get into a lot of detail. If you can't remember a detail, make it up and make it interesting.
4. When you first begin to have an attraction to the opposite sex, you can help but find swimsuits extremely flattering. Who was your first swimsuit crush and why? If anything resulted from this crush, write about it. If not, no reason not to have a little bit of fantasy in your penmenship :).
5. Imagine you have suddenly been transported into the body of the calorie-guzzling, gold-medal-winning body of Michael Phelps. How do you cope with this newfound athletic machinery? Can you win more gold medals in the next Olympics? Do you even like swimming?
6. Write about your most memorable heavy rainstorm. Were you alone or with friends? Were you outside caught in it or were you in a car or house watching the rain splash down? Be specific and go into great detail about the rain itself and how it affected the world around it.
7. What would you do if all of your possessions were ruined in a hurricane and flood? Elaborate about all that was lost and how you are going to have to live your new life.
8. Write about the most fun you've ever had at a water park or on a water ride. If you haven't been to one, make up the most elaborate water slide ever and detail your journey through it.
9. Describe in extreme detail a shower or bath. Talk about your process through it and make some connection between the cleansing and your life. For example, you could be washing the feeling of working a 9 to 5 job away with the shower. Feel free to make up some subtext for it.
10. You are in high school and throwing the best pool party ever! Go through the planning of it all the way through the exciting water filled excitement.
I hope that you like these prompts...or I'll be all wet! Really, truly, I had to go there. Thanks for reading and I hope you have a glorious time writing. Perhaps by the side of the pool?
Bonus Prompt - Imagine you are a goldfish trapped in a little fish bowl. How do you get through the boredom of every day life?
Write from one of these inspiring prompts!
Feel free to test your writing skills below!
Done with Prompts about Water?
Go back to "Creative Writing Prompts"