When I got a job in college at the school library, I was in heaven. I had the esteemed pleasure of going through all the old and new books, taking in that musty book smell, and being connected to the millions of books we had in circulation. Not everybody nerds out as much as me about books, but these free creative writing prompts can help you to determine your connection to great literature (or trashy other stuff). Your experiences with books early on can help to shape your lives, and a book that you read now may stay with you for the rest of your time here. Hopefully these prompts can help you utilize some of your book-related experiences. Enjoy!
Free Creative Writing Prompts: Books
1. What is your favorite (or a few of your favorites) book and why? How many times have you read it and how does it make you feel when you flip through the pages? What would you tell someone when you're recommending this book to them?
2. What is your least favorite book? Why are you so turned off by it and how would you rail against it if a friend told you he was reading it? Now imagine that you are forced to watch a movie version of the book. Describe your experience.
3. Do you remember the first book that either you read or your parents read to you? Write a story comparing the reading of this first book to you versus you reading it to your child as his or her first book.
4. A friend has recommended that you read a book that he says is "completely amazing." The book is anything but. What do you tell your friend and does this change your opinion about his taste?
5. Talk about the book that you had the hardest time getting through in school (Faulkner for me! :)). Why do you think you had such a hard time and how did you do on any subsequent tests? How did you learn enough to get by with it?
6. You have been transported into one of your favorite books as a character of your choosing. Who are you, what book is it, and what happens during your adventures? Go into extreme detail.
7. Sometimes, a friend, a parent, or a loved one just needs to take a few pieces of advice and their lives will begin to fall into place, you just know it. Take 5 people you know who need to stop being stubborn about certain things and pair each of them up with a different book. They read them and learn the lesson. What happens to them?
8. You have been given the chance to adapt a book of your choosing to the big screen! How do you go about making this book fit the typical 2 hour run time without losing any of your beloved or important elements?
9. What is your favorite place to read? Talk about why it is such a perfect spot and give a detailed account of one of your reading sessions including the book that you'd be most likely to read.
10. You are in a book club meeting! Talk about the various people that would be in a book club of yours and what book you might be reading. Even if this has never happened, make up your dream book club or the book club from hell.
I thoroughly suggest making reading a part of your life and a part of the lives of your family members. I currently tutor a few students in English and Reading and a household where reading is a priority can make a huge different. I hope that these free creative writing prompts about books can help you to agree with that. Happy writing!
Bonus Prompt - You are writing the book of your dreams. How does it make you feel and what do you think has held you back for so long from getting it completed?
Related Articles to Free Creative Writing Prompts about Water
Free Creative Writing Prompts from the Heart, Part 1
Free Creative Writing Prompts #2: Love
Creative Writing Exercises #2: Relaxation
Use the above prompts or article as inspiration to write a story or other short piece.