High School Writing Prompt List
This high school writing prompt list focuses on the juxtaposition of enjoying your adolescence and thinking about your future. After all, students in high school tend to want to enjoy as much as they can about the town and time they live in but they must also think about choosing the area of education that could affect the rest of their lives. It's a lot of stress and stress relief at the same time and I hope to embody that intriguing concurrence in this list.
High School Writing Prompt List
1. What aspects of your parents or guardians' education do you respect the most and why? Do you plan to exceed their level of education or not and why?
2. Imagine that you could plan out your best memories of high school, college and your adult life. What would these memories be and why? Tell the complete story from start to finish for at least one of them.
3. There is a good chance that you will make a new group of friends in college and/or your adult life. If you could use those new comrades to fill in the current social gaps of your life, what would these new pals be like and why?
4. If you could go out to lunch with yourself from five years in the future and yourself a decade down the line what would the three of you talk about? What would their best piece of advice be for you?
5. Imagine that you are going to a college so far away that there would be little chance that someone from your high school would attend with you. If you had the opportunity to bring one friend, one acquaintance and one other classmate to the school, who would they be and why?
6. One day, you may have a child and even a grandchild who will also attend high school. What would your best piece of advice be to this descendent of yours? How would this child or grandchild be similar and different to you?
7. In the movie of your high school experience, name the actors that would make up your ideal cast. Make sure to include yourself, your parents, crush, friends and favorite teacher.
8. As technology changes, how do you think the high school experience will transform in the next 10 years? 30 years? 100 years?
9. Create a story about your ideal life 25 years from now. Include what you're doing for a living, who you live with, where you live and how well you're doing at achieving your goals.
10. While many teenagers tend to complain about what they don't have, there are people your age throughout the world with less food, money, shelter and education than you have. Write a list of things in your life that you're grateful for and write a story about how you'd deal without them.
This high school writing prompts list is just a sample of the many writing prompts available on this site at the creative writing prompts page. If you'd like to get a ton of prompts all in one place, take a look at my book, 1,000 Creative Writing Prompts.
Written by Bryan Cohen
Bryan Cohen is the author of more than 30 books, many of which focus on creative writing and blasting through that pesky writer's block. His books have sold more than 20,000 copies. You can find him on Google+ and Facebook.
Done with High School Writing Prompt List? Go back to Creative Writing Prompts.