Narrative Writing Prompts
Without even realizing it, I've filled my website with narrative writing prompts. These story starters are meant to inspire a personal story or essay and while there are 10 prompts on this page, feel free to check out my book, 1,000 Creative Writing Prompts many of which are narrative writing prompts.
1. Think back to a time that you were extremely scared. What caused it, why did it make you so afraid and how did you let go of that fear? What would make you even more frightened today?
2. Remember a time in which you felt naive. What are some of the things you know now that you didn't know in that situation? Do you ever miss not having that knowledge, why or why not?
3. Have you ever been so excited that you could barely hold it in? Write about the experience and what it was that caused such anticipation. What would have to happen nowadays to give you the same level of excitement?
4. Create a story about a time in which you were happy to be alive. What caused this sensation and how much you be able to use this memory when you're feeling down?
5. Firsts are extremely important to us, such as losing our first tooth, our first day of school and our first kiss. Write about one of your firsts. What was so important about this first at the time and is it still important to you now?
6. You may remember your childhood as a laid back affair, but for your parents or guardians it may have been a different story. Between dirty diapers, spit up and sleepless nights, you may have been quite the handful. Write a story about a week in your infancy from your parents or guardians' perspective.
7. Imagine a time in your life in which you were very embarrassed. Now imagine you were 10 times as confident during the situation as you actually were. What would have happened differently in the situation and why?
8. Write about a time in which someone made fun of you. How did you react and why? Do you wish you had handled the situation differently?
9. Imagine that you could switch lives with a friend, a loved one or a stranger for a day. Who would it be and why? Describe that day in different shoes from beginning to end.
10. What is the biggest goal in your life? Do you think that goal will change in the future or stay the same? How will you feel and what will you do if you ever achieve it?
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.