This collection of second grade writing prompts focuses on a major addition to the lives of children that we never had growing up: the Internet. Back in the day, having to use libraries and look things up in books was the only way that research and learning could be done outside of school. Nowadays, it can be achieved with the click of a button and as a result, there is much yet to be written by our wonderful children about this massive world development.
261. What are some of the ways that you use the Internet on a daily basis? Do you use it at home? At school? On your phone? Why do you think it is or is not important in your life?
262. Imagine a world in which the Internet was never invented. How would your life change? How would you look things up for homework or projects?
263. One of the best things about the Internet is that it makes it really easy to send funny videos and articles to other people. What is the funniest thing you’ve ever seen on the Internet and why? Tell the story of the first time you saw it.
264. Do your parents put any restrictions on your use of the Internet? If so, what do they restrict? Do you think it’s a good idea to limit your time or the sites that you are allowed to look at? If there are no restrictions, do you think that you would put restrictions on your kids’ Internet use when you’re older?
265. Some people spend all their time sending viruses and spam mail throughout the Internet. Why do you think people do that? What would you do if you met one of these virus and spam-sending people in person?
266. What are five things that you like about the Internet? What are five things that you dislike about the Internet? If you had the choice, what would you change to make the five things you dislike about the Internet much better?
267. What are your five favorite websites on the Internet? What do you like about them so much? If you had to write a thank you note to the creator of one of the websites, what would you say in it?
268. What are some of the most important things that you still cannot do on the Internet? Do you think they’ll ever figure out how to make these things out to be digital and online or do you believe they will always be in the real world?
269. Sometimes people use the Internet for bad things like bullying. What are five good and positive things you could use the Internet for? Go into extreme detail and create a plan for at least one of them.
270. Right now, the most popular websites on the Internet are Google, Facebook and Twitter. Create a new idea for a website that will be the most popular website 50 years from now. Describe the website and write about why you think so many people will want to use it.