Second Grade Writing Prompts #7:
This collection of 10 free second grade writing prompts focuses on the people in your children's lives aside from family, friends and teachers. This includes people like strangers, grocery store clerks, dance instructors, etc. Kids encounter many different people on a day to day basis and writing from these prompts can help them both to pay attention more often to their environments (a great quality for a writer) and to appreciate the people they talk with a lot more.
You may notice that the numbers on this page do not start at 1 and work their way up. This is because these 10 second grade writing prompts are an excerpt from my book, 500 Writing Prompts for Kids: First Grade through Fifth Grade. If you like these free samples, the full version is available in both digital and paperback form.
Second Grade Writing Prompts #7: Miscellaneous People
141. The way you describe a person who is between a “friend" and a “stranger" is often called an “acquaintance." This is somebody you know, but that you don’t know well enough to call a friend. List five acquaintances in your life and describe how you know them and the way that they act toward you.
142. Do you and your family have any “family friends?" These are people who aren’t related to you but who come over all the time and are practically like family. If so, write a story about you and your family hanging out with the family friend. If not, create a tale about an entertaining family friend who comes over to your house for dinner.
143. Have you ever felt shy when your parents have introduced you to a new person? Describe what that experience was like and why you think you felt that way.
144. Imagine that you are trapped in an elevator with five people that you don’t know. It will take the maintenance crew at least an hour to get you out of there safely. What do you and the five strangers talk about while you’re stuck?
145. Who of the following people do you enjoy the most and why: family doctor, housekeeper or nanny, delivery person, grocery store checkout person or swim/music/dance instructor?
146. Who is the most interesting person you’ve ever met? Whether this is a friend, a family member or a complete stranger, go into detail about why this person was so interesting.
147. Imagine that you and one of your parents or siblings sit down on an airplane next to a person who loves talking. What do you and the “super talker" talk about? Write a dialogue between you, your relative and the talking person.
148. You and your class have decided to get pen pals in a foreign country of your choice! Pen pals are kids close to your age who are in a completely different culture and country who you can write to. What country do you choose and what do you write in your first letter to your pen pal?
149. Who is the weirdest person you’ve ever met? What did this person do to seem so weird to you?
150. You have been chosen to speak about your favorite subject in front of a room of 150 strangers. What is the topic you will discuss? How do you feel about being in front of so many people you don’t know? How does the speech go?
Done with second Grade Writing Prompts? Go back to Creative Writing Prompts.