Soup's on! This page is a mix and match of 10 third grade writing prompts about the best school subject of all: lunch. Let's face it, many kids can't help but look forward to their midday meal and as a result they may be more inclined to write about that then say...William Shakespeare?
You may notice that the numbers on this page do not start at 1 and work their way up. This is because these 10 third grade writing prompts are an excerpt from my book, 500 Writing Prompts for Kids: First Grade through Fifth Grade. If you like these free samples, the full version is available in both digital and paperbackform.
Third Grade Writing Prompts #8: Lunch
241. What kind of lunch do you usually eat during school? Do you buy lunch or does someone pack your lunch for you? What are all of the standard foods that you eat and what would you change about it if you had a chance?
242. Who are the people that you typically sit with during lunch time? Describe all of them, what they typically eat and what you think they bring to the table. For example, somebody who tells a lot of jokes is a good addition to the table because he makes lunch funny.
243. Imagine that during lunch a crazy food fight has broken out and you have hidden under a table to avoid getting hit with pizza and burgers. What happens next?
244. What is the wackiest lunch you’ve ever had at school? Did your mom try to spice things up with some confusing sandwich choices? Did you trade the things in your lunch bag for something wild and crazy? If you’ve never had a crazy lunch, make up a story in which you end up with an unusual lunch due to strange circumstances.
245. Imagine that there is a cute boy or girl that you want to sit with and talk to across the lunch room. Tell the story of how you work up the nerve to do it and what you two talk about.
246. If you could create the perfect lunch for yourself, from anywhere in the world, what would you have in your lunch bag? Go into extreme detail and tell the story of how jealous your lunch buddies would be.
247. What do you and your lunch friends typically talk about at the lunch table? Write a little dialogue that shows what you usually discuss. If you usually just eat, make up a story in which you talk about something very important.
248. If a person in the lunch room fell down and their food went everywhere, what would you do and why? Now imagine that it was you who fell down, what would you hope that other people would do?
249. What do you think school lunches are like in other schools? What about in other countries? There are no right answers or wrong answers here, just guess what some of the differences might be and write about what it’d be like to go there for a lunch visit.
250. One of your friends has had 20 pizzas delivered to the lunch room for everyone to share. When the pizza delivery guy arrives he asks, “Alright, who is paying?” What do you and your friends do?
Done with Third Grade Writing Prompts? Go back to Creative Writing Prompts.