771. J. Sterling Morton, a nature lover and journalist, started spreading his enthusiasm for trees when he became the editor of a Nebraska newspaper in the 1850s. What subjects might you talk about if you were in control of a type of news? Would you use your influence for improving the world or helping yourself? Why?
772. After becoming a member of the Nebraska government, Morton continued to stress the need for trees and eventually put together the tree-planting holiday Arbor Day on April 10, 1872. Imagine that you had an idea so good that you'd be willing to spend decades on achieving it. What might such an idea be? How would you make it a reality?
773. Over one million trees were planted on that first unofficial Arbor Day. How long do you think it would take you, your family, and your friends to plant that many trees? What would be the most difficult part of this agricultural work and why?
774. The holiday spread throughout many other states and is now celebrated in all 50 states and in many countries. Imagine that you started a trend that spread to every other person in your school or neighborhood. What might that trend be? How would you feel being the person who started such a popular way of doing things?
775. One reason the holiday became so popular is because of the many benefits of trees. What are some positive aspects of trees that you can think of? Why might having millions of new trees throughout the world each year be important?
776. While trees are important to humans, they also serve as the home to many different types of organisms in nature. Imagine that you were a small creature living in a tree. What might your day-to-day life be like? How would you show your appreciation for the tree you lived in?
777. Even though trees are so important, many of them are cut down every year throughout the world for various reasons. What are some of the reasons trees get chopped down? What could happen in a wooded area if trees don't get replanted?
778. You have been asked to hold an AD festival in your town. What events might you organize to celebrate the holiday? How would you get everybody in the area to attend? What would have to happen at the event for you to consider it a success and why?
779. Arbor Day isn't just about planting trees, because the trees that are already planted may need help too. Imagine that you were a tree doctor who went around tending to sick trees. How might you make a sick tree become healthy again? Why?780. There is a tree in Inyo County, California, named Methuselah that is thought to be over 4,800 years old. Imagine that you were Methuselah and you were able to watch the world change dramatically over nearly 5,000 years of life. What would be some major events that stuck out to you? How would you feel about living for so long and why?