61. When Christopher Columbus first arrived at the Americas, he is believed to have thought he was in a completely different place on the other side of the world. Have you or your parents ever gotten lost like that? Where were you going and how did you find your way back?
62. In 1492, Columbus thought that he had landed in India and thought the people he spoke with were Indians. Who did he actually meet there? What do you think their reaction was to Columbus and his crew?
63. Imagine that you were the first to discover something either big or small. What would you discover and would people think your discovery was important? Why or why not?
64. Create a made-up story using the following words: map, ship, gold, and discovery.
65. Describe what you think the inside of Christopher Columbus's ships would have looked like. Use your imagination to go into as much detail as possible.
66. Imagine that you had to convince your parents to let you go on a great voyage with all of your friends. Where would the voyage lead you and how would you be able to gain permission for such a dangerous trip?
67. One of the reasons Columbus thought he had landed in India was that in the past people didn't realize how big the world actually was. What are some other things people in the late 1400s might not believe about how the world is today? Do you think they would like the discoveries that have been made since then?
68. Describe what you think the land looked like where Columbus first arrived in what is now called the Bahamas. Keep in mind that in 1492, the world was a much different place without nearly as many tall buildings and as much technology as we have today.
69. Some people in the time of Columbus used to think that the world was flat instead of being a sphere. How different would the world be if it actually were flat?70. Columbus took four major voyages to the Americas, some of which took years at a time. How well do you think you could handle being on a ship in the middle of the ocean like that? What would you do to entertain yourself during the long trips?