931. The first recorded Father's Day honored over 300 men who passed away in a coal mine in West Virginia in 1908 and the state has claimed credit for the first celebration of the holiday. Have you ever taken credit for being the first to come up with an idea? Why do you think it's important to say that you started an idea or movement?
932. Sonora Louise Smart Dodd started campaigning in 1909 for the Father's Day we know today to honor fathers, especially her father, who raised Dodd and her five siblings alone. Do you think it would be hard to raise six children as a single parent? Why or why not?
933. Another reason Dodd promoted the holiday, which first took place in 1910, was because of the gaining popularity of Mother's Day. Imagine if there was a Mother's Day without a Father's Day. Do you think fathers would feel left out? Why or why not?
934. While the holiday faded after Dodd took time to go to college, it eventually picked back up in the 1930s when she gained the support of tie manufacturers and other male goods manufacturers. Why would a tie company have a stake in Father's Day?
935. Create a conversation between two male gift company presidents who are considering spending advertising money on Father's Day in its early stages. What are their opinions about fathers and why might they make a major push for the holiday?
936. After multiple governmental attempts to make Father's Day official, President Richard Nixon made it a national holiday in 1972. Imagine you and your friends could come up with a holiday to propose to the President. What holiday would you think up and do you think it would pass? Why or why not?
937. If you were a father, what kind of gifts might you want to celebrate the special day? Which would be more important: gifts or having a chance to spend time with your family and why?
938. A growing phenomenon is the stay-at-home dad, a father who tends to the house and children while the mother is out working. Why do you think this used to be more rare? Do you think caring for the family is less or more important than working at a job? Why?
939. Do you think that your father enjoys the Father's Day holiday? Why? What might he like and dislike about the special day?940. Father's Day is celebrated throughout the world on many different days and in many different ways. If you could invent a new tradition for Father's Day, what would it be and why would you create it? How would your father feel about the new tradition?