871. The Pony Express began in the spring of 1860, one of the first innovations in the postal system. After the invention of e-mails and text messages, do you think that sending mail through the postal system is still necessary? Why or why not? What are some things that wouldn't work to send electronically and why?
872. On April Fool's Day in 1946, a huge tsunami stuck many unsuspecting Hawaiians because they thought the warnings were just a joke. What are some things that are too important to joke about? What would you do if you weren't sure someone was telling you the truth or not and why?
873. William Shakespeare, one of the most famous writers of all time, was born in the spring of 1564 and died in the spring of 1616. What do you think it would take for someone to surpass him as the most famous writer of all time? What is it about him and his writing that makes him so well known?
874. April is National Poetry Month. Write a poem about what you think you'll do the rest of this spring and why you'll do it.
875. On April 15th, millions of people will send in their tax returns to the Internal Revenue Service of the U.S. government. Many people put off their doing their taxes until the last possible second. Why do you think so many people procrastinate with their taxes? Do you think you'd get an accountant to do your taxes or do them yourself and why?
876. In May 1888, Nikola Tesla, a brilliant scientist who was ahead of his time, received a patent for alternating electrical current. He later unsuccessfully tried to spread free wireless electricity throughout the world that could have led to the Internet being invented nearly 100 years earlier. Do you think it's important to have people like Tesla in the world who try their hardest to create new and unusual experiments? Why or why not?
877. Over 200 years before the Emancipation Proclamation, the state of Rhode Island passed a law on May 18, 1652 that banned slavery. The law was barely recognized by officials and was not enforced. How do you think history would have changed if slavery was abolished a full 200 years earlier? Would your life be impacted? Why or why not?
878. The first female presidential nominee in the United States was Virginia Woodhull and the nomination occurred in the spring of 1872. She was nominated for the presidency despite the fact that women were not yet allowed to vote. Why is it important for both men and women to be allowed to vote? What could the people in power do if a certain sector of the population was not able to cast a vote?
879. The American Revolutionary War began in the spring of 1775. If you lived back in that time, how do you think you would have contributed to the battle for American Independence? How would your family members have contributed and why?880. World Health Day is April 7 and while there are sick people in the United States, there are much higher percentages of illness in some developing countries. Would you ever consider going to another country to help to prevent sicknesses like malaria, tuberculosis and other potentially deadly diseases? Why or why not? What are some ways you can keep yourself healthy? Written by Bryan Cohen