951. The poet E.E. Cummings once wrote that "the earth laughs in flowers." Would you agree with Cummings? What are some other ways that the earth might laugh and why? How does the earth laughing differ from the way humans laugh and why?
952. "No spring skips its turn," according to author and journalist Hal Borland. How would the world be different if spring did skip its turn? What would be the parts of spring you'd miss the most and why?
953. Author Geoffrey B. Charlesworth spoke of spring as if it were an orchestra. If spring was an orchestra, what instruments do you think each different type of animal and plant would play and why? What would such spring music sound like and why?
954. April is like a green traffic light that makes the world think "Go" according to poet and essayist Christopher Morley. What are some ways that people "go" during the spring? What are some ways the other seasons make people stop and why?
955. Mark Twain and many other writers have discussed the concept of spring fever as a feeling that makes you want to go out, have fun, and fall in love. What do you think spring fever would feel like and why? In what ways would someone with spring fever act differently and why?
956. Margaret Atwood, an author and environmental activist, once said that at the end of a spring day "you should smell like dirt." Imagine that you have planted a beautiful spring garden with your family and you need to tend to it every day. How would you make time for the garden? Would you have to remove any technological things from your schedule? Why or why not?
957. According to a Chinese proverb, plants recognize spring sooner than humans do. What do you think the first sign of spring is for a plant and why? Aside from the calendar, what is a sign that spring has come for you and why? How do you feel when you realize it's finally spring?
958. Chilean poet and diplomat Pablo Neruda said that "you can cut all the flowers but you cannot keep spring from coming." Why do you think some people remain grumpy even when it's beautiful outside during the spring? If you were feeling unhappy during the spring, what would you do to snap out of it and why?
959. It's important to enjoy how the seasons change from one to another as opposed to simply being in love with spring, according to writer George Santayana. What are some ways you can love the other three seasons as much as you enjoy spring? Would your life be different if you enjoyed the weather and the transitions throughout all the seasons? Why or why not?
960. Wallace Stevens, an American poet, said that spring prepares everyone an annual surprise. Imagine that you did in fact receive a major surprise every spring. What would this year's surprise be and why? What would be some of the surprises the season could hold for you in the future and why?Written by Bryan Cohen