221. Iced tea was invented by Richard Blechynden, a tea plantation owner who realized his tea was too hot during the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis. He added ice and the rest was history. What is your favorite summer beverage and why? If you could invent your own summer drink, what would it be?
222. At the very same World's Fair, the ice cream cone became popular when a stand selling the dessert ran out of dishes and took thin waffle wafers from a nearby Persian food stand. Do you think it's important for different cultures and ideas to come together? Why or why not? What are some things other than ice cream cones that could result from collaboration?
223. Dr. Willis H. Carrier developed the first modern air conditioner in 1902, which was originally meant to keep the paper from drying out at a printing press. Why do you think Carrier first thought of cooling paper before he thought of cooling humans? How do you think people coped with heat prior to air conditioning?
224. In the summer of 2008, Michael Phelps became the first Olympian to win eight gold medals in one Olympic Games. What would it be like to be the best in the world at something? What would be the pros and what would be the cons? If you could pick one thing to be the best at, what would it be and why?
225. At the age of 11, Frank Epperson invented the popsicle in 1905 when he accidentally left some soda and a stirring stick outside overnight. It froze, and over 100 years later, we're still thanking him for the treat. Do you think you could be an inventor? Why or why not? What kind of product would you create and why?
226. In the summer of 1853, head chef George Crum invented the potato chip completely by accident when trying to get back at a guest who kept sending his friend potatoes back to the kitchen. Why do you think accidents and other unintentional actions often create inventions? What is your favorite summer snack food and why?
227. Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley had a dream in the summer of 1816 that later became the story for Frankenstein. Have you ever said, done, or written something that you saw in a dream? If so, what was it and how did you use it? If not, what kind of creation do you think you could come up with in a dream and why?
228. Benjamin Franklin conducted many of his experiments with lightning and electricity during the summers between 1747 and 1752, including the famous kite experiment. If you could come up with an experiment to try during the summer, what would it be and why? Would your experiment be as dangerous as Franklin's? Why or why not?
229. July is the top month for ice cream sales and was made into National Ice Cream Month in the 1980s by President Ronald Reagan. Imagine that you have been asked to hold a giant ice cream festival in your town to celebrate the month. What activities would you have available, what kinds of ice cream would you use and would people enjoy the celebration?230. Before the 1840s, there was no such thing as summer vacation for schools. Do you think that summer vacation is a positive thing? Why or why not? How would your life be different if you had school all year long and why?