Here is a list of 10 free 1st grade writing prompts about some of the amazing things that happen in elementary school. From field trips to assemblies, guest speakers to holiday parties, these writing prompts will help you to prevent the answer "not much" when you ask your children what happened in school that day. Let their imaginations run wild with these wacky school prompts.
You may notice that the numbers on this page do not start at 1 and work their way up. This is because these 10 1st grade writing prompts are an excerpt from my book, 500 Writing Prompts for Kids: First Grade through Fifth Grade. If you like these free samples, the full version is available in both digital and paperback form.
1st Grade Writing Prompts #4: School Excitement
41. What is the most memorable assembly you’ve ever had at school and why? What did you and your friends say about it after it was over?
42. What are the three craziest places you and your class have gone on a field trip? What did you learn while you were on those trips? Why is a field trip better than learning the same material from a video or book in the classroom?
43. Have you ever gotten a chance to leave early from school because of weather or some other reason? If so, talk about the day when that happened. If not, make up a story in which you have to leave for home in the middle of the day because of school closing a few hours early.
44. What would your school do if the following events happened: alien invasion, giant snow storm, monkey loose in the school, accidental delivery of 250 pizzas, everybody in the school loses his or her shoes? Write each story separately.
45. What was your favorite day in school of all time? What happened on this day to make it so fun?
46. You and your friends have been picked by the principal to come up with an exciting event for your school. What do you decide to do? How can you put together an event that will make everybody happy, both students and teachers?
47. What was the toughest thing you ever had to deal with at school? Was it a difficult test? A bully? Share your story and try to add as many details as possible.
48. Have you ever had an interesting guest speaker at your school? If so, talk about hearing that person talk and what you learned from it. If not, imagine that one of your favorite famous people in the world came to your school to give a speech. Who is it and why should they talk at your school?
49. If you had the choice, what are five things that you would do to make your school day more exciting? Pretend that you have unlimited money and choices to make these five things happen as soon as possible.
50. What was the best party you’ve ever had at school? Was it for a holiday like Halloween or something completely different? What did you eat, wear and do?
Done with 1st Grade Writing Prompts? Go back to Creative Writing Prompts.