Here is a collection of 10 free 1st grade writing prompts about birthdays. When we're growing up, some of the most memorable events in our lives are those wonderful days full of cake and presents. Have your children or students work on these prompts to relive those days whenever they come upon their stories later in life.
You may notice that the numbers on this page do not start at 1 and work their way up. This is because these 10 1st grade writing prompts are an excerpt from my book, 500 Writing Prompts for Kids: First Grade through Fifth Grade. If you like these free samples, the full version is available in both digital and paperback form.
1st Grade Writing Prompts #1: Birthdays
11. What is the first present you ever remember getting for your birthday? Was it exactly what you wanted? How often did you use it?
12. Everyone knows that if you blow out the candles on your cake you get at least one free wish. If you had one birthday wish for your next birthday, what would it be and why? Talk about what would happen when the wish came true.
13. Describe your perfect birthday party. Would there be clowns? Would there be video games? How many friends would be there? Be specific and write about everything that would and could happen during the party.
14. What is the best present that you and your parents have picked out for another person’s birthday party? How did you go about picking the most appropriate gift possible? Does it feel good giving something great to someone else?
15. How is the birthday party for a kid’s birthday different from an adult’s birthday? Do you think the adults have as much fun as the kids?
16. Which birthday do you think is the most important one? Is it turning 10 because you have 2 digits? Is it 15 because you get to go to high school? Write a story about your birthday party the day you turn that special age.
17. Imagine that you have to plan the birthday party for your best friend in the world. What are the special things that you would plan? Remember that this is a party for your best friend, so make sure to include all the things he or she likes.
18. What is the most memorable birthday cake you’ve ever seen? What was its flavor and how big was it? How many pieces of it would you have if you had the choice?
19. After escaping prison, a group of robbers have taken your cake and all your presents. What are you going to do? Write a story about how you and your friends save your birthday party.
20. If you could invite anyone from history, from television, or from movies to your birthday party, who would it be and why? What gifts would they bring you? What would you talk about?
Done with 1st Grade Writing Prompts? Go back to Creative Writing Prompts.
Use the above prompts or article as inspiration to write a story or other short piece.