Let's get back to our roots! Here is a series of 10 free 4th grade writing prompts about nature. With our current dire environmental situation, it has become more and more important to teach our children and students about the environment. The more they write about such a subject, the better.
You may notice that the numbers on this page do not start at 1 and work their way up. This is because these 10 4th grade writing prompts are an excerpt from my book, 500 Writing Prompts for Kids: First Grade through Fifth Grade. If you like these free samples, the full version is available in both digital and paperback form.
4th Grade Writing Prompts #4: Nature
401. Writers have referred to nature as “the great outdoors." Why do you think they’ve talked about it like that? What are some of the things that make nature “great?"
402. One author, named Henry David Thoreau stayed out in nature for a long time and wrote a book about his experiences out there. Imagine that you were spending a year or two out in nature. How would you live there? What are the things you would miss about living in your house? What are the things you wouldn’t miss?
403. In cartoons like Cinderella, a whistle and a song bring on dozens of little animal friends to help out the main character. What would your life be like if you had friends throughout the forest to help you on your way? Which animals would they be and how did you become friends?
404. There are lots of potential threats to the environment like pollution and deforestation. Some people even believe that the environment will be damaged beyond repair for your generation. What will you do to keep the environment safe for you and future generations?
405. Talk about a time in which you and your friends or you and your family went out into nature. What did you see? What did you learn?
406. Imagine that you, your family and your friends all went into nature to hike up a big mountain. Who would be there and what would their reaction be to the hard work and beautiful scenery? How often would you do this sort of thing if you had a choice?
407. Have you ever been to the ocean? If so, what were your feelings the first time you saw that vast body of water? If not, create a story in which you see the ocean and play around on the beach for the first time.
408. In your lifetime, what are some of the more exotic natural locations you want to go? The rainforest? The Arctic Circle? List at least five different natural habitats. Pick one and then write a story about your trip there.
409. Pick your favorite animal that lives out in the wild. Create a story in which you become that animal for a day and have to figure out how to survive in nature. Write about what you eat, what you do and what other animals you hang out with.
410. Some people believe that nature has become less important for us as technology has become more advanced. Do you think nature is still important to you and the future generations? Why do you believe that?
Done with 4th Grade Writing Prompts? Go back to Creative Writing Prompts.
Use the above prompts or article as inspiration to write a story or other short piece.