I haven't written a set of creative writing prompts for the site in a good long time. Since I've been writing so much about authors lately, I figured I'd write a set of prompts just for them. Without further adieu, here are 10 writing prompts for some of the hardest working writers in the biz.
1. What if you could write whatever you wanted without money, fame or the need to make other people happy? What would you write and why? What might happen in real life if you started writing that way with all those limiting conditions back in place?
2. Describe three kinds of people every author needs in their life to become a success. Are these three archetypes present in your life? If not, who are some candidates you might approach and why?
3. You've won a contest from a prominent writing magazine to create your ideal writing space. All expenses are paid, so you can go hog wild. What does your room look like, what would you put inside it and how would it change the way you write?
4. Imagine a conversation between you and your writing idol, living or dead. What questions would you ask and how would they respond? What lessons would you learn from such a conversation and why?
5. If you could go anywhere for a writing retreat where would it be and why? What project would you work on there? Do you think the atmosphere would allow you to finish your project? Why or why not?
6. It's finally happened. You've been offered a contract worth several million dollars for your writing. In return, you have to promise to only write novels in the same series for the rest of your life. Would you sign the dotted line? Why or why not?
7. What do you think a person needs to have accomplished to call herself an author and why? Are you an author by that measure?
8. Who is your favorite author and why? Who is your least favorite author and why? Are you more likely to learn something from reading books by the former or the latter and why?
9. In a stunning revelation, you've found out that your books are extremely popular overseas! Describe your whirlwind international tour meeting with adoring fans. Would the fame go to your head? Why or why not?
10. What do you think is the hardest genre to write in and why? What challenges might you face if you wrote strictly in that genre and why?
There's been a lot of talk about how self-publishing is diluting the quality of the work that gets put out into the world. If you ask me, that seems like propaganda generated by the legacy publishing companies and the universities trying to sell MFA programs in creative writing. This new world of writing has given some amazing authors the chance to shine. Whether or not folks check out these creative writing prompts on authors, I can't wait for the next 20 years to see more and more authors take up the torch and get their writing to new readers. Happy writing!
Done with Creative Writing Prompts for Authors? Go back to the Prompts page.
Use the above prompts or article as inspiration to write a story or other short piece.