Here is a collection of 10 first grade writing prompts on methods of transportation like planes, trains and automobiles. I don't know what it is about moving vehicles that makes kids so excited but from what I've seen, they can talk about it for hours. Take advantage of this excitement by using these writing prompts about transportation.
You may notice that the numbers on this page do not start at 1 and work their way up. This is because these 10 first grade writing prompts are an excerpt from my book, 500 Writing Prompts for Kids: First Grade through Fifth Grade. If you like these free samples, the full version is available in both digital and paperback form.
First Grade Writing Prompts #8: Planes, Trains and Automobiles
281. Have you ever had the opportunity to fly in an airplane? If so, what was it like and what were some of the things that impressed you about the experience. If not, tell a story about a possible future plane ride and all of the amazing, interesting things you would see during your trip.
282. When planes were first invented, they could only fit one or two people at a time and they could only go for short distances. What are some of the things you think have changed with technology to make these planes work so much better in the current era?
283. What are some of the other devices that fly other than regular airplanes? Have you ever had the chance to fly in any of them? If so, tell your story. If not, create a story of flying in a non-traditional aircraft and how it makes you feel.
284. Before there were commercial planes, a lot of people took trains to get from point A to point B in the world. Have you ever been on a train? If so, what was it like and how was it different from a car or plane. If not, write a story from your great-grandfather’s perspective about what it was like to ride on a train many years ago.
285. It’s tough to imagine that hundreds if not thousands of people laid down railroad tracks all throughout the country so that a train could get from the East to the West and vice versa. Imagine that you were one of these people working long hours to get the tracks laid down. What would a typical day be like for you?
286. There have been trains in lots of big movies like The Polar Express, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Back to the Future and more. Which is your favorite movie train and why? What would it be like to ride on those trains yourself?
287. What are the types of cars that your family has? Which of the cars is your favorite to ride in? Do you think that when you’re old enough to drive them that you’ll get one of them as your first vehicle?
288. If you could create your own car from scratch, what would be some of the new and improved features? What are some of the features you like on normal cars?
289. What is the coolest car that you’ve ever seen in your life? What do you think it would be like to drive it? What would your friends and classmates say if they saw you driving that car?
290. Have you ever had to ride the school bus? What was it like and why did you enjoy it or not enjoy it? What are some of the things that happen on the bus? Would you rather be driven to school or ride on the bus?
Done with First Grade Writing Prompts? Go back to Creative Writing Prompts.
Use the above prompts or article as inspiration to write a story or other short piece.