This collection of 10 first grade writing prompts focuses on the recreational activities our kids and students participate in. While some first graders may be a bit young to engage in some of these activities, many have expressed interest and may already be taking lessons and playing sports. This is a great way to get the imagination going for our very active kids!
You may notice that the numbers on this page do not start at 1 and work their way up. This is because these 10 first grade writing prompts are an excerpt from my book, 500 Writing Prompts for Kids: First Grade through Fifth Grade. If you like these free samples, the full version is available in both digitaland paperback form.
First Grade Writing Prompts #7: Recreation
191. What are some of the things that you do for fun around your house or neighborhood? Do you play video games with friends? Do you shoot hoops in your own driveway? List at least three things and why you like doing them.
192. If you could choose three places to go today in your town to have a good time other than your house, what would they be? What would you do at these places? Who are the people you would choose to have there with you?
193. Imagine that it’s a rainy Saturday at your house and you’re not able to go outside. What would you and your family do to pass the time? Start at the beginning of the day and work your way to the end.
194. If you are ever stressed out or grumpy, one of the best ways to deal with that is to find a way to relax. What do you do to relax after a tiring day? What are three things you don’t currently do to relax that you might try in the future?
195. What are five things that you have done in nature for recreation? Anything that you do outside counts such as playing football on a grass field or jumping around in a pile of leaves. Pick your favorite of the five and write a story about how enjoyable the activity is to you.
196. When you have recess at school, what are the things you usually do? Are there certain people you typically play with? Write a little story about a memorable day at recess for you.
197. Imagine that your parents and your friends have all come together to bring you to a crazy theme park with roller coasters, water slides and games! Describe your day from top to bottom and make sure to talk about all the rides you go on.
198. What is a sport that you and your family might all play together? Might you go for a bowling night? Rent a boat and go fishing? Even if there is no sport you would all play, make one up and tell a story of your family playing together.
199. One of the best places in the world for recreation is the beach. Have you and your family ever been to the beach together? If so, describe one of those times in detail. If not, make up a story about going to the beach and participating in at least three recreational activities.
200. Imagine that you had an entire year off from school and unlimited money to do whatever you wanted. What would you do with that year and why? Make sure to write a lot of ideas because a year without school can seem like a very long time.
Done with First Grade Writing Prompts? Go back to Creative Writing Prompts.
Use the above prompts or article as inspiration to write a story or other short piece.