What is the American Dream? Is it living with a family out in the suburbs far away from the dregs of society? Is it being wealthy and rising up the caste system of America? Is it being happy and fulfilled (which most people will tell you results from the other two, but they're wroooong :))? Whatever you think is the correct answer, these freecreative writing promptsabout the American Dream will help you to hone your answer and to utilize it for the purposes of writing. Perhaps you can write while your 2.5 kids are at school and while the wife is out repairing the white picket fence. At least...in a dream. Enjoy!
Free Creative Writing Prompts: The American Dream
1. You have unintentionally achieved the proverbial American Dream, you have 2 kids, a white picket fence, a nice house, and a loving spouse. Work on a sort of timeline of how your next 30-50 years turn out with this situation.
2. What does the American Dream mean to you? What do you feel is your American Dream and how do you want to end up living?
3. Is the American Dream still about living comfortably with a family or is it now about living in extreme wealth and getting to do pretty much whatever you want? Cite some examples and perhaps even a back and forth between two families.
4. What would you consider to be success in American society? What would be failure? What would have to happen for you to be willing to compromise your vision of success?
5. Currently, one of the big American Dreams is to get out of debt. What has your experience been with debt and how does it affect you, your family, and your future?
6. Create a hypothetical story in which a large world event changes the American Dream drastically for the better or the worse. Go into extreme detail and perhaps tell the story from several different perspectives.
7. How do you feel the American Dream compares to the "Dream" in other countries? In comparison to them, do we set our standard too high? Too low? In the wrong place entirely? Go into detail.
8. Family is a huge part of the American Dream. How does your family compare to one of a healthy marriage, with two kids, and a dog? Where do you believe that puts you in society?
9. You have acheived the American Dream but it isn't as fulfilling as you thought it would be? How do you become satisfied with what you have or how do you end up achieving more?
10. Talk about a movie, book, or television show in which a family attempt to acheive success in America. What lessons can you learn from their journey and what things could they have done differently? Write your own story of a family attempting the same sort of thing.
What is my American Dream? I want to be free to find and rediscover my dream as often as is needed. If I can make a living off of this website (which at the time of writing this is definitely a dream :)) along with some of my other freelance pursuit, I feel as though I'll be able to experience life at its fullest. That's my dream. Hopefully, these free creative writing prompts about the American Dream can help you to realize yours. Or at least, to get some words down on paper about it. Happy writing!
Bonus Prompt - You are granted a window into the future about 20 years. How do you and your family place in American society in that time? Have you gone up or down or stayed the same? Knowing what you know from that vision and that the future most definitely can be changed, what will you do?
Related Articles to Free Creative Writing Prompts about The American Dream
Free Creative Writing Prompts from the Heart, Part 1
Free Creative Writing Prompts #2: Love
Creative Writing Exercises #2: Relaxation
Use the above prompts or article as inspiration to write a story or other short piece.
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
The Unintentional American Dream Not rated yet
_Why is it so hard to find someone who cares about you?_ I had it all. Two beautiful children, a handsome, loving spouse, and a beautiful two-story …