Don't be afraid of the free creative writing prompts about your deepest and darkest fears. While there are few among us who have legitimate clinical phobias, most of us have a handful of things that we tend to be afraid of. It may be something common like speaking in public or may be something less run of the mill like household cats. When fears are overcome, people can feel brave like they can make anything happen. When fears overwhelm, a person may let his life slip away from them in moment after moment of cowardice. Use fear in your writing in discussing characters or yourself.
Free Creative Writing Prompts: Fears
1. Name five things that you are personally afraid of in order of most fearful to least. Why are you afraid of those things in particular? What would change about your life if you conquered those fears? How do you think you'd be able to do it?
2. Think back to a time when your fears preventing you from doing something you wanted to do. For example, after all of your friends jumped off the high rock platform, you wanted to prove yourself but couldn't because of fear. Do you think that your fear helped or hurt you in that instance and why?
3. Imagine that you were alive in ancient times with your same fight or flight response having to battle the perilous dangers of the uncivilized world. Do you think that you would be successful facing such scary challenges or that you would be too modernized to stand much of a chance?
4. List five different phobias that you've heard of or try to make a few up. Write a little story for each about how your life would be different if you had that particular phobia. What normal activities might you not be able to participate in due to your clinical fears?
5. As you're walking down the street you come upon a mirror that makes you look about 20 years older. Suddenly, you realize it's not a mirror, but it's actually you from the future, coming to help you face your greatest fears to avoid a later in life calamity! What does this future self help you with and are the two of you successful?
6. Was there ever someone during elementary, middle or high school who you were genuinely afraid of? Imagine that you have come face to face with this person during a situation in which you couldn't leave the room and had to talk to him or her for an extended period of time. What would happen and would you continue to remain afraid after the encounter?
7. A lot of people are more afraid of death than they are anything else. Why do you think so many people list death as their number one fear? Where do you rank it in the fears of your life and how do you think the fear of death has shaped who you are today?
8. For those who are afraid of public speaking, the time-honored suggestion of picturing the audience in their underwear has been made over and over again. If you had to add any other tips to someone who was afraid of speaking to a room, what would they be and how have you used them to your own benefit?
9. In the Nightmare on Elm Street movie series, an evil and scorned former school employee attacks students in their sleep by bringing their worst fears to life. What would your encounter with such a freaky individual be like and which of your fears would spring at you in a deadly fashion?
10. How would the world be different if humans had a constant fight or flight response to any stimulus, much like birds or insects? How would your day be different if you were scared of anything and everything around you all the time?
Done with Free Creative Writing Prompts about Fear? Go back to Creative Writing Prompts.
Related Articles to Free Creative Writing Prompts
Related Products to Free Creative Writing Prompts
Use the above prompts or article as inspiration to write a story or other short piece.