861. Many museums and parks offer special exhibits on Memorial Day to give attention to the U.S. military service. Do you think it's important to remember the contribution of the military long after they're gone? Why or why not?
862. Each MD at the Arlington National Cemetery, American flags are placed at every service member's grave stone and guarded to ensure the graves are not disturbed. What do you think is the meaning of this tradition? Why might it be a touching ceremony for some?
863. The National Memorial Day Parade in Washington, D.C., includes entertainment but is more well known for its tributes to various wars and branches of the military. Do you think it's necessary to have a balance of fun and seriousness on a holiday like MD? Why or why not?
864. Ports around the country celebrate boating and sailing festivals on MD. Imagine that you could own any boat you wanted. What kind would it be, what would you do with it, and why?
865. The Indianapolis 500 is a racing event over MD weekend that is attended by approximately 400,000 people. Imagine sitting inside one of those cars zipping around the track. What might it feel like to go so fast? Would you enjoy it? Why or why not?
866. Mount Vernon, Virginia, boasts a Sunset Celebration on MD weekend to witness the setting sun on George Washington's home. Imagine sitting down with the first President and chatting about the holiday. What might you discuss and why?
867. There are monuments all around the country that serve as fitting places to honor fallen soldiers on MD. Imagine that you were in charge of creating your own memorial. What would it look like, who would it honor and why?
868. America's national parks are frequently visited on MD, giving visitors the chance to see the most beautiful parts of the country. How do you think seeing such a breathtaking part of the U.S. would make you feel and why?
869. The barbecue is a MD tradition, but it's not always directly connected to the honoring of America's troops. What are three ways that a standard barbecue could be more connected with the roots of the holiday? Do you think the changes would be for the better or the worse and why?870. While there are many MD traditions, one of the most frequent modern practices is to go on a vacation. What is a vacation you and your family could go on that would be equally patriotic and enjoyable? Why might such a trip be more fulfilling than one purely for fun?