Summer Smells Writing Prompts Here are 10 summer smells writing prompts you can use to ring in the season with your classroom or your own personal journal. If you enjoyed these prompts, buy the entire collection of 1,000 Writing Prompts for Seasons on Amazon.
171. As you try to convince your family to go to a nearby summer festival, a breeze blows the smells of the celebration your way. What are some of the distinct scents you can pick up? How might you use these aromas to get your family to go? Would the plan work? Why or why not?
172. The summer heat and wind can also cause some locations to smell very bad. What are a few examples of places you would not want to live next to in the summer and why? How would the worst offender of the bunch make you feel and why?
173. How would you compare the smell of an ocean and beach with that of a lake? Which scent do you find more appealing and why? Which location would be most fun to spend a week at and why?
174. How do each of the following wet summer smells makes you feel and why: a community swimming pool, a freshly watered lawn, a car after a car wash, and a wet and furry dog?
175. Describe the barbecue grilling process from beginning to end using only your sense of smell. Which part of the process smells the best to you and why? Do you think grilling will be a big part of your life every summer? Why or why not?
176. How does a big plate of grilled hamburgers and hot dogs smell to you? Do you think your feelings about the food would change if you were a vegetarian? What if you were allergic to hot dogs and hamburgers?
177. It's very important to be protected from the sun all summer long by using sunscreen. Describe what your favorite sunscreen smells like to you. What does the scent of sunscreen remind you of and why?
178. Imagine that you could create a sunscreen with any kind of aroma you wanted. What scent would you choose and why? Would it make you feel different about the object or type of food that the scent from your new sunscreen came from? Why or why not?
179. Summer is a season of sweat. What does the scent of being drenched in sweat remind you of and why? Do you think it's OK to be sweaty during the hottest season of the year? Why or why not?
180. What is your most physical and active summer activity? How does it make you feel to be moving around in the heat? What are some smells you associate with this activity and why?
Did you enjoy these summer smells writing prompts? Buy a book full of seasonal writing prompts today!
Done with Summer Smells Prompts? Go back to Seasonal Writing Prompts.
Related Articles to Seasonal Writing Prompts
comments powered by Disqus
Written by Bryan Cohen
Bryan Cohen is the author of more than 30 books, many of which focus on creative writing and blasting through that pesky writer's block. His books have sold more than 20,000 copies. You can find him on Google+ and Facebook.
Write a Story Based on These Prompts or This Article!
Use the above prompts or article as inspiration to write a story or other short piece.
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
The Fun Fair
Sitting in the car, the air is heavy and humid and clings to all of our skin. The air conditioning is whizzing in the front of the dark green van. …
How the Smell of Funnel Cakes Got Me to the Fair Not rated yet
I was trying my very best, without much luck, to convince my brother and sister to go to the yearly, local fair that was happening only a mile from our …
Family Matters Not rated yet
As the family reunion geared up into full swing, the voices around me faded into a buzzing in the hot summer sun like bumble bees on a field of daisies. …
Summer Smells--Music Festivals in Olde Town Lansing Not rated yet
My husband, my father-in-law, and I went to Blues Fest a few years ago in “Old Town" Lansing. It was such a great time. It had just rained and the …
The Worst Smell in the World! Not rated yet
When I was little I used to think that the worst smell in the world was fresh liver or dead cows, living next to a farmer I got to smell this smell …
Anywhere but Delaware Not rated yet
I thought I hated the beach. I had gone to the beach nearly every warm weekend of my childhood, enduring a two and a half hour drive through the flat …
Lakes and Oceans Not rated yet
The Ocean smells are always tempting to me, salty smell on the breeze; it makes me think of taffy and sand castles. But the lake has a smell too, something …