1. It's the hottest day of the year and all you want to do is sit near the air conditioner and soak up the cool. What do you think it would be like if you didn't have air conditioning in the summer? What would you do to keep cool and why?
2. You've lathered yourself with sunscreen from head to toe to prevent yourself from getting burned. Aside from the sun, what are some things you might need to protect yourself from during the summer and why?
3. Sometimes it gets so hot in an area that people have to conserve their water because of drought conditions. Imagine that there was a drought in your area so you couldn't play in the pool or run through the sprinkler. How would this change your typical summer day and why?
4. Summer is often the host to some wild thunderstorms. Do you enjoy thunderstorms or do they scare you? What do you like or dislike about them? Where would you want to be when a thunderstorm is happening and why?
5. Describe your typical summer outfit. What do you wear from head to toe and why?
6. You have gone on an adventure with your family to discover what animals might be hanging out in the local forest during the summer. What animals do you find and what are they doing? What animal might you find that would be a surprise and why?
7. Depending on where you live, gnats and mosquitoes might be a major issue during the summer. Create a conversation between two insects that are looking for some good skin to munch on. What might they talk about and why?
8. How do you think summer would be different if you were a dog? What about if you were a bumblebee? How about a penguin? Which creature would have the toughest time coping with the heat and why?
9. You have been given the summer job of mowing and tending to your lawn. What sorts of activities might you need to do to keep the lawn in the best shape possible? What would be some of your challenges and why?10. Would you rather have the scorching heat of the summer or the freezing cold of the winter? What are some of the benefits of each? Which one would you settle on and why?
Use the above prompts or article as inspiration to write a story or other short piece.