These 10 free writing prompts for kids are part of a wonderfully free preview of the new book 500 Writing Prompts for Kids: First Grade through Fifth Grade. The prompts here are about teachers, some of the most important people in a young kid's life. Whether or not you are the favorite teacher of your kids, these prompts hold a lot of value in creating ideas for writing. Kids talk about their teachers with their parents and their friends and you can use that amount of chatter to your advantage in the writing arena.
Writing Prompts for Kids #5: Teacher
1. Who is your favorite teacher in school and why? Write a story that shows some of this teacher’s awesome qualities.
2. Who is the teacher that you have learned the most from in school? What are a few of the things you’ve learned? Do you think these are lessons you can use for the rest of your life?
3. You have been invited over your teacher’s house for dinner, along with your parents and siblings. What is your teacher’s house like? What do you eat and what do you talk about?
4. Imagine that your current teacher was interviewed by a newspaper about you! What do you think your teacher would say about you and why? Write the article that the newspaper publishes including several quotes by your teacher.
5. What do you think your teacher was like when he or she was your age? Was your teacher similar or different from you? Write a lengthy description of how your teacher acted and how he or she looked at your age.
6. What would your ideal teacher be like? Would it be a teacher who lets you do whatever you want? Would it be a teacher who has unlimited time to help you with homework you have a hard time with? Go into detail about what this teacher would be like, what he or she would look like and anything else you can think of.
7. Every so often, you hear things about the teachers you will have the next year or the next couple of years. Talk about these potential future teachers for you, what you’ve heard and who you hope you get the following years.
8. In middle and high school, there are often sections called “superlatives" which are like awards given to the “best dressed," “most likely to succeed," and “most creative" people in the class. What are some of the “superlative" awards you would give to the teachers in your school?
9. You find out that one of the teachers in your school is an alien! Who is it and what planet are they from? What happens once everybody finds out that the teacher is from another world?
10. Have you and your parents ever given a gift to a teacher? If so, what was the gift and how did your teacher like it? If not, what gift would you get your current teacher for the holidays or the end of the year and why?
Notes: Both of my parents were teachers and I suppose by writing instructional material, I've become a sort of teacher as well. As a result, I always had a different perspective than most people growing up about teachers. Hopefully, these free writing prompts for kids about teachers will get your students thinking about how you are people just like them. This might lead to more respect and extra gifts during the holidays :).
Related Articles to Writing Prompts for Kids #5: Teacher
Free Creative Writing Prompts #70: Second Grade
Free Creative Writing Prompts #71: Third Grade
Free Creative Writing Prompts #69: First Grade
Kick writer’s block to the curb with my book 1,000 Creative Writing Prompts! Check out some reviews right here.
Done with Teacher? Go back to Creative Writing Prompts.
Use the above prompts or article as inspiration to write a story or other short piece.